Minimum wage 12p increase

In our household I'm the one who would go out and do the shopping so why would the others have a clue? But even I have no idea how much a slice of bread costs. It is a very unusual person who opens up a pack of bread to count the slices and then gets out the calculator to work it out.

The same with milk. According to my till receipt from M&S yesterday, 2 litres cost £1.78. Off the top of my head I have no idea how much that is a pint. I do know it is far more expensive than buying the cut price milk at ASDA which from memory is about half that price. But why would anyone memorise the prices? Who knows the price of a fish finger off the top of their head?

Eggzackerly. I know a fortnightly shop at the supermarket costs £40 and I spend around a tenner a week at the butchers and probably the same at the grocers.

I don't know the cost of an individual item though.

I agree that 12p is a joke but during recessions you have to be careful.

The problem that has happened in other countries with a significant basic wage rise is that employers made mass layoffs cause their wage bill increased massively over night.

Forcing the remaining employees to take on extra duties & hours to compensate. Which didnt really benefit anyone as they found they were doing twice as much work for a bit of extra money.

It does have its positive side. In Souhampton Ford got fed up of constant strikes over wages and in particular pensions. They moved production to Turkey and now we can buy Transit vans much cheaper than when they were made here.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 10:47 ----------

Eggzackerly. I know a fortnightly shop at the supermarket costs £40 and I spend around a tenner a week at the butchers and probably the same at the grocers.

I don't know the cost of an individual item though.

It's the same down at the pub. Who knows the price of a slimline tonic in every pub?

I got a shock at the weekend when I asked why a round had cost so much and found that one pint of beer had actually cost £4.50.

What do you expect from a government that don't know the price of milk and bread.

I'm sure this will make a big difference towards your rent, mortgage, shopping, utility bills etc.

Maybe if MPs lived like ordinary people they would understand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24340661

The UK's average salary is the 5th highest in the world, which is over 2x that of the worlds average salary.

With the latest rise this puts the UK's minimum wage 23rd in the world listings for average pay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

The larger the potential profit the more companies will enter the market and the more supply will increase, this naturally restricts the price rise and the amount of profit available.

Housing is different because the supply is restricted by other factors.

Just like many products, food, energy, cars, ect all restricted by many factors.

You must have a strange MP. What is his/her name.

Our MP lives just like us. She uses the same supermarkets, the same pubs and the same restaurants as we do. I've seen her buy toilet rolls so I'm assuming she eats drinks, sleeps and craps just the same as I do.

Just like many products, food, energy, cars, ect all restricted by many factors.

I suspect that housing in the UK has more external restriction to it's supply than other goods (energy has no place in the comparison, it's fundamentally different).

Are you advertising the fact that you don't know roughly how many pints are in a litre? Or that you can't divide £1.80 into 4 to get a rough estimate?

Well if I asked you "off the top of your head" how much a pint of milk cost at £1.78 for 2 litres. Off the top of your head you couldn't tell me. If however you have nothing better to do with your life you could spend a while with a calculator and pretend you knew all the time. But I for one wouldn't believe you.

Well if I asked you "off the top of your head" how much a pint of milk cost at £1.78 for 2 litres. Off the top of your head you couldn't tell me. If however you have nothing better to do with your life you could spend a while with a calculator and pretend you knew all the time. But I for one wouldn't believe you.

I don't have a clue how many pints in a litre. Imperial measurements are stupid.

What do you expect from a government that don't know the price of milk and bread.

I'm sure this will make a big difference towards your rent, mortgage, shopping, utility bills etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24340661

If it is a minimum then everyone on benefits should get 40 hours worth per week.

Archived