E.ON scraps Pensioners tariff

Mr Howley's bill is £1400-1600 for a small property?

I think they should shop around or get the engineer in.

My last elec/gas combined bill was £140 for the last quarter. In winter it's about £350-£400. That's for 3 people in a large 3 bed terrace. And my combi boiler is crap efficiency wise.

It really depends on the type of property. I have a two bedroom house, costs around £130/mnth on average for gas/electricity. Its only October and already the walls are like blocks of ice.

jb

The Government is making the energy companies reduce their number of tariffs down to four. You didn't really expect them to remove the expensive ones and leave the cheap ones did you ? :(

Exactly. I knew this would happen the minute the government announced that they were going to meddle. If someone is so stupid that they are not on the best rate, why should people who are not stupid loose their cheap rate?

It's the same as when brown messed with vat. At my barbers when brown announced a two and a half % drop in vat the price of my haircut stayed the same,at £4. A few weeks later when he put the two and a half % back there was a notice up saying that due to the increase in vat the price had gone up to £5. A 40 % increase. Brilliant move Gordon.

Exactly. I knew this would happen the minute the government announced that they were going to meddle. If someone is so stupid that they are not on the best rate, why should people who are not stupid loose their cheap rate?

It's the same as when brown messed with vat. At my barbers when brown announced a two and a half % drop in vat the price of my haircut stayed the same,at £4. A few weeks later when he put the two and a half % back there was a notice up saying that due to the increase in vat the price had gone up to £5. A 40 % increase. Brilliant move Gordon.

Then you should have changed your barber, as not every barber did that.

Then you should have changed your barber, as not every barber did that.

Hi poppet. It should have read £5 to £7 by the way. Obviously I never went back again but that is not the point.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 19:57 ----------

That is an amazing piece of logic. Company does not reduce price when tax is reduced. Company increases price by far more than the tax increase.

Nothing to do with the company, all Browns fault.

He gave them the excuse.

Staywarm was good when first introduced by Powergen. For anyone who is worried that pensioners are getting a cheap deal on this product they can rest easy because it is not. Meters are still read and the price adjusted accordingly. The benefit of it is that the same price is paid throughout the year, hopefully eliminating the need for people to economise in the colder months. These days people usually have direct debits set up for a fixed amount so it is a similar arrangement.

Those who were transferred to Warm Assist by eON, which is also a fixed price product will see no change.

Exactly. 'Profit is not a dirty word', says Cameron.

Your life is enriched by the products/services made by companies out to make a profit.

Eat fast food? Own an iPhone? Drive a car? Shop at Tesco?

The "not-for-profit" approach was tried in the USSR.

There you would have had to queue for bread, be faced with empty supermarket shelves, only be able to buy Levi jeans on the black market and drive a Lada or a Trabant.

China only became a major economic power once the profit motive was embraced.

Archived