E.ON scraps Pensioners tariff

I think all in lower income brackets should have a lower tariff, but I do agree that it is fair we all pay the same, whatever our age. Some pensioners get more money than single people for example.

Why would a business give you a discount just because you earn less?

... Eh, how so, or are you just regurgitating right wing Daily Mail rhetoric?

I'm, not right wing at all.. I just don't blindly follow the red=good and blue=bad philosophy that seems to stop some people on here from actually thinking and questioning things...Ed wants to cap prices.. what happens if the price of gas/oil/etc goes up because of some unrest in the middle east (unlikely I know.. isn't it?)... what happens if this price goes above that which would allow the power companies to buy it and still make a profit remembering prices are capped? Will they produce 'leccy at a loss? Or will they turn the generators off until the fuel costs come down...genuine questions... or...prices are capped which means profits are capped also...will the power companies invest in the much needed new infra structure when their profits are being squeezed.. can you be sure this won't happen?

But this is common practice when purchasing tickets for certain cultural activities, it's called concessions.

True, and in the case of concessions I would think that one of two things has happened.

1) The government makes up the difference in ticket price, or it's a legal obligation

2) The business has taken a decision based on the assumption that a reduced concession price will actually increase revenue and still make a profit.

Neither of these factors are likely to apply to an energy supplier IMO.

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 10:33 ----------

I'm, not right wing at all.. I just don't blindly follow the red=good and blue=bad philosophy that seems to stop some people on here from actually thinking and questioning things...Ed wants to cap prices.. what happens if the price of gas/oil/etc goes up because of some unrest in the middle east (unlikely I know.. isn't it?)... what happens if this price goes above that which would allow the power companies to buy it and still make a profit remembering prices are capped? Will they produce 'leccy at a loss? Or will they turn the generators off until the fuel costs come down...genuine questions... or...prices are capped which means profits are capped also...will the power companies invest in the much needed new infra structure when their profits are being squeezed.. can you be sure this won't happen?

Given these sorts of possible scenarios it strikes me that privatising a vital public service might not have been the smartest thing to do in the first place.

True, and in the case of concessions I would think that one of two things has happened.

1) The government makes up the difference in ticket price, or it's a legal obligation

2) The business has taken a decision based on the assumption that a reduced concession price will actually increase revenue and still make a profit.

Neither of these factors are likely to apply to an energy supplier IMO.

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 10:33 ----------

Given these sorts of possible scenarios it strikes me that privatising a vital public service might not have been the smartest thing to do in the first place.

We are where we are....the scenarios were only suggestions ..don't know if they're realistic. .but there wouldn't be a problem of supply if the prices weren't capped..? Law of unintended consequences?

Archived