Cameron, No dole for under 25's

The thing I find very odd in all these changes to the benefits system, is the relatively small cost to the country of benefits. It's not going to save us all that much money when JSA makes up about 1% of government expenditure.

Imagine JSA was completely abolished, the saving wouldn't even put a noticeable dent into the deficit!

Which does make the whole thing look more like a PR exercise... A rather stupid one IMO though, as the conservatives are alienating more potential voters who claimed benefits, than they are pleasing voters who didn't.

This would have been a good point if it was the only area of government spending in which they are trying to save money, but it isn't, so the point is moot.

If the government saves a little across hundreds of of areas of government spending, it will add up to a sizable saving, if they use your flawed logic, they won't save anything at all.

Everything in your post smacks of desperation all round

You mean the truth and realistic responses? Something you perhaps can't deal with. It doesn't follow your ideology.

The thing I find very odd in all these changes to the benefits system, is the relatively small cost to the country of benefits. It's not going to save us all that much money when JSA makes up about 1% of government expenditure.

Imagine JSA was completely abolished, the saving wouldn't even put a noticeable dent into the deficit!

1% here, 1% there. If 10% of the government expenditure was saved, that would cover the budget deficit.

Which does make the whole thing look more like a PR exercise... A rather stupid one IMO though, as the conservatives are alienating more potential voters who claimed benefits, than they are pleasing voters who didn't.

Well, this is true, but what's the alternative? Not announce things? Do things on the quiet?

This would have been a good point if it was the only area of government spending in which they are trying to save money, but it isn't, so the point is moot.

Yes true.

Posters in here always say the same things, cuts to benefits, cuts to health. They are the big 2. Other than education, nothing really comes close.

I suppose there's an easy solution.. make benefits somehow related to contributions..?

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 15:30 ----------

When my son worked for an agency his rate of pay was greater than that of the permanent workers, this was done to make up for the fact that his holidays weren't paid.. he had to take all his days off though..in effect he was paid the same as the permies..it was in I.T if that makes a difference..

I do a bit truck driving for an agency when I get a bit skint,I get nearly twice as much as the regular drivers I can pick my hours and shifts,if I don't like the job I don't go.I worked the last three days for a well known haulage company and I will have earned £500, 15 hour shifts though but its good money,I would not get that working full time including nights out.. ,

You mean learning how to pick up paper?

Yes, because that's exactly what Cameron said somewhere, we'll teach the unemployed to pick up paper. Well done for spotting that. Have a coconut.

Obviously eds plan of giving people jobs of picking up paper regardless of qualifications is way better.

ok so up to 25 either earn or learn, and who is going to be paying for all this learning?, as we already spanking those in uni, does cameron hace that answer?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Maybe they are thinking post grad, or more likely vocational studies. He needs to explain what he'll pay for and who will pay for it amongst other things or, as has been mentioned by other posters its just stroking the party faithful at conference time.

Maybe they are thinking post grad, or more likely vocational studies. He needs to explain what he'll pay for and who will pay for it amongst other things or, as has been mentioned by other posters its just stroking the party faithful at conference time.

The obvious thing to do, if this ever had any hope of being a real policy, would be to shove young people onto workfare.

The obvious thing to do, if this ever had any hope of being a real policy, would be to shove young people onto workfare.

Got to say I'm not a big fan of workfare, it seems to concentrate on shifting long term skivers on a short term basis (only for them to sign on again at the earliest opportunity) or putting square blocks in round holes all for the benefit of multinationals. Maybe if it was for charities or jobs where the skills the unemployed had could be used more, I'd buy into it.

Archived