If you could afford it would you buy Royal Mail shares?

If you could afford it would you buy Royal Mail shares?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If you could afford it would you buy Royal Mail shares?

• Yes
    • No

Why should we buy shares on something we taxpayers already own?

Shouldn't they be giving the public free shares, since we own it and our taxes have gone into building it up for the duration of its life?

By buying shares you will be simply buying everyone else out, and everyone including you will now have more money in the government coffers for things you and everyone else will use.

Why should we buy shares on something we taxpayers already own?

Shouldn't they be giving the public free shares, since we own it and our taxes have gone into building it up for the duration of its life?

I agree with you that it shouldn't be sold off, but given that you're not going to prevent it being sold, would you buy some shares? If the government was giving away free money would you want some?

I agree with you that it shouldn't be sold off, but given that you're not going to prevent it being sold, would you buy some shares? If the government was giving away free money would you want some?

If they give the shares away, they are only giving back a part of what every tax payer in this country has contributed towards.

Of course I would have them if they were giving them away, I paid towards them.

If they give the shares away, they are only giving back a part of what every tax payer in this country has contributed towards.

Of course I would have them if they were giving them away, I paid towards them.

That's OK. I've put in to buy your shares so you'll have to manage without.:D

Nope. And not for ideological reasons in the least. I'm just not seeing it as a worthwhile investment.

Aside from the letters market (which has long been declining, and not likely to recover anytime soon), for parcels they have long been outperformed by private courriers, whether directly or via the likes of P2G, and very likely to remain so.

The core advantage they have been able to rely upon for keeping the lion' share of the market so far, is their infrastructure - that will likely be significantly stripped/reduced once they go private, and IMHO will compound their dwindling competitivity.

I'd expect the share price to do a pronounced 'U' in the short (and slightly-longer) term. So, as a long-term investment, maybe. But I'm already over-subscribed on long term shares, so giving it a pass.

Archived