If you could afford it would you buy Royal Mail shares?

If you could afford it would you buy Royal Mail shares?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If you could afford it would you buy Royal Mail shares?

• Yes
    • No

the posties who gave it a big **** off should get public service medals.

The vast majority of Royal Mail employees took up their offer of shares. I don't blame them for that at all, even though they opposed the principle of the sale. If someone offers you free money it's always best to take it.

The vast majority of Royal Mail employees took up their offer of shares. I don't blame them for that at all, even though they opposed the principle of the sale. If someone offers you free money it's always best to take it.

We certainly did. Most of us feel we were owed something after last years debacle, when our phantom share scheme was due to pay out RM told us the value of the the company was zero and hence none of us got a penny.

The ones that left the company before the final valuation got £1440.

Funny how RM is worth £4.6bn today yet a year ago was worth zero according to them....so yeah, I'll take the shares despite not agreeing with privatising RM.

Btw we're not allowed to sell our free shares for 3 years, and then will pay tax on them - if we wait 5 years we don't have to pay tax.

I also bought some shares, and on Friday made paper gains of around £1200 in total.

You'll only really be able to tell if the Royal Mail was undervalued after a couple of months, when the share price has become much more steady. I doubt the share price will remain as high as it is currently.

obviously the shares were undervalued

if you sell something for £3.30 and then the person that bought it from you sells it the following day for £4.50 - having done nothing to enhance its value - how is that not under-selling?

i appreciate it is difficult to value shares on an IPO, but it doesn't alter the fact that they were undervalued

Out of interest, how many shares were employees being given? A £1200 profit implies about £3600 initial investment, and private investors were all limited to £750.

Telegraph says £2200.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-mail/10371642/Royal-Mail-postmen-given-shares-will-take-the-money-and-go-on-strike.html

obviously the shares were undervalued

if you sell something for £3.30 and then the person that bought it from you sells it the following day for £4.50 - having done nothing to enhance its value - how is that not under-selling?

i appreciate it is difficult to value shares on an IPO, but it doesn't alter the fact that they were undervalued

Since the shares aren't properly on sale yet why not wait to find out how undervalued RM really is.

Could take a month or so for the share price to properly stabilise.

Since the shares aren't properly on sale yet why not wait to find out how undervalued RM really is.

Could take a month or so for the share price to properly stabilise.

you are right, but we are talking about two different things

i am talking about how much more the government could have got for "our" shares on the IPO, rather than how much they are worth

i accept it is better to be oversubscribed than have millions of unsold shares, and it is easy to be wise after the event, but many commentators of varying political persuasions and expertise had been forecasting precisely this outcome some weeks ago

no matter how you look at it, this government has cocked up and sold off an asset for significantly less than they could have done

the stabilised share price in a month or so is a totally different matter - that will give us a better idea as to how much our remaining shares are worth, but it doesn't alter the fact that we could have got a few hundred million more on the initial offering

It does beg the question why they didn't set the price higher.

They started taking interest way before announcing the price didn't they?

Surely if they knew they had 10x more interest than shares they could have set the IPO share price abit higher?

not that I know one single thing about setting an IPO share price - maybe there's some legal bits and pieces to it that govern the price????

Archived