SYPTE leaflets - free citywide ticket

has anyone had a leaflet offering free travel for a day?

i am ashamed to say i went into pedant mode and noticed they had stated that travelling by bus was road tax and insurance free.

surely they must mean car tax? there hasn't been such thing as road tax for decades? the roads are paid for out of taxation (council tax) which we all pay. If a travel company doesn't know the facts, how is anyone else supposed to?

:rant: rant over.

I think I need to eat :D

has anyone had a leaflet offering free travel for a day?

i am ashamed to say i went into pedant mode and noticed they had stated that travelling by bus was road tax and insurance free.

surely they must mean car tax? there hasn't been such thing as road tax for decades? the roads are paid for out of taxation (council tax) which we all pay. If a travel company doesn't know the facts, how is anyone else supposed to?

:rant: rant over.

I think I need to eat :D

I have a car sitting in my garage..it isn't taxed but still totally legal...as soon as I want to use it on the road I must pay tax..."road tax" seems as good a name as any for it...

I have a car sitting in my garage..it isn't taxed but still totally legal...as soon as I want to use it on the road I must pay tax..."road tax" seems as good a name as any for it...

The amount of tax you pay depends on the emissions of your vehicle, not how much you use the road. So car tax is a better term for it.

But you know full well that it's actually called vehicle excise duty.

So they didn't mean road or car tax, they meant VED. And buses aren't exempt anyway! And the passengers do pay for it, via buying a ticket, just like they pay for insurance as well.

But you know full well that it's actually called vehicle excise duty.

So they didn't mean road or car tax, they meant VED. And buses aren't exempt anyway! And the passengers do pay for it, via buying a ticket, just like they pay for insurance as well.

I know full well what it's called thank you but in reality it's a road tax.. a tax paid to be able to use the road.. whatever you call it that's what it boils down to..

I know full well what it's called thank you but in reality it's a road tax.. a tax paid to be able to use the road.. whatever you call it that's what it boils down to..

No. What it is is VED. You can think of it as road tax if you like but just remember it doesn't give you any more right to the road than anyone else.

Archived