Carbon monoxide poisioning what to do now?

My friend saw a no smoking adviser today, when she blew in to the meter her reading came up at 32! she had only smoked 5 cigs this morning. The adviser told her there was a high chance she was inhaling carbon monoxide from somewhere else i.e home. She rang the ladlord and told him this and he sent a plumber round who condemed her home immediatley as it was leaking carbon monoxide. She has left the property tonight but what do they do now? she has somewhere to stay and thats not the issue but there is herself, her partner and 2 young children who frankly could all be dead now and the plumber said so hiself. She hasnt got a gas safety certificate either shes lived there a few weeks. Do they need to see a doctor, a solicitor both, what? Everybody really shuck up about this we coould of lost them if this had carried on!

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Carbon-monoxide-poisoning/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Seek immediate advice from your GP if you think you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

Treating carbon monoxide poisoning

You will need oxygen therapy treatment in hospital if you have been exposed to a high level of carbon monoxide.

Oxygen therapy involves breathing in 100% oxygen through a tight fitting mask (normal air contains about 21% oxygen). Breathing in concentrated oxygen enables your body to quickly replace carboxyhaemoglobin.

Read more about how carbon monoxide poisoning is treated.

The time it takes to recover depends on how much carbon monoxide you have been exposed to and how long you have been exposed to it for.

Between 10-15% of people who have severe carbon monoxide poisoning develop long-term complications such as damage to the brain or heart.

Her landlord should be liable for the cost of re-housing her until her own home is made safe.

She should be asking him to do that.

If he is unresponsive, she should seek advice from Shelter or the Citizen's Advice Bureau, or ring the Environmental Health Officer at her council.

If she's walking around happily and feels fine I doubt whether she'll need any additional treatment.

There is a much more sensible solution of course: turn the boiler off.

Your medical opinion, based on.....?

You are also presuming that its the boiler that is the problem. Likely but not conclusive.

A friend of mine and her baby killed with this, take no chances. Tenants should absolutely insist on the gas safety certificate and owners should not skimp on a yearly check either.

If she's walking around happily and feels fine I doubt whether she'll need any additional treatment.

There is a much more sensible solution of course: turn the boiler off.

Did you not read my thread properly? The home has been condemned! That means its not safe to live in! If it was as simple as turning the boiler off then people wouldn't die from it would they! And no she nor her family are walking around fine actually they have all had headaches etc for a while now.

Anyway I'm sure you'll find a thread that requires less intelligence on the "I'm bored" section.

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 00:42 ----------

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Carbon-monoxide-poisoning/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Seek immediate advice from your GP if you think you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

Treating carbon monoxide poisoning

You will need oxygen therapy treatment in hospital if you have been exposed to a high level of carbon monoxide.

Oxygen therapy involves breathing in 100% oxygen through a tight fitting mask (normal air contains about 21% oxygen). Breathing in concentrated oxygen enables your body to quickly replace carboxyhaemoglobin.

Read more about how carbon monoxide poisoning is treated.

The time it takes to recover depends on how much carbon monoxide you have been exposed to and how long you have been exposed to it for.

Between 10-15% of people who have severe carbon monoxide poisoning develop long-term complications such as damage to the brain or heart.

Thanks for your reply, that's quite scary statistics but definitely good advice.

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 00:43 ----------

Her landlord should be liable for the cost of re-housing her until her own home is made safe.

She should be asking him to do that.

If he is unresponsive, she should seek advice from Shelter or the Citizen's Advice Bureau, or ring the Environmental Health Officer at her council.

She's ok for a while at her in laws but yes definitely he should be making sure it's safe etc ASAP. Thank you

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 00:44 ----------

Do landlords have to provide carbon monoxide detectors? I know my property has an audible one, but that may just be because the boiler is very old. My previous address did not but the boiler was much newer.

No it's not a legal requirement but advisable :-(

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 00:48 ----------

Your medical opinion, based on.....?

You are also presuming that its the boiler that is the problem. Likely but not conclusive.

A friend of mine and her baby killed with this, take no chances. Tenants should absolutely insist on the gas safety certificate and owners should not skimp on a yearly check either.

That's terrible Hun really, I fear we were nearly in the same situation and its really scared us. I can't imagine losing my friends to something like that or at all really! Just feel so sorry for them and what could of happened! The boiler was in the little bedroom which would of been her sons room but he was having trouble sleeping when they first moved in so he went in with his sister and has been there since THANK GOD!!!!!

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 00:49 ----------

First things first, get all your family checked over by a doctor.

Worry about the finance and legal bits and pieces later.

Yeah that's definitely tomorrow's plan first thing. Thank you :-)

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 00:52 ----------

It is a criminal offense for the landlord to rent a property without a SP12 gas safe landlords certificate.

Contact gas safe for advice.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk

Apparently there is a certificate the previous tenant who we no luckily remembers it being checked. Funny though she says she was always poorly when in that home and her kids, but fine now! She said this before today's events just to avoid biased lol :-( so how legit was that test???!!!

Archived