Mazda Engine Problems, part 2.

I recently posted asking why my mazda 323F 1997 1.5 intermittently stalls while going down gears and usually while the clutch is down to the floor.

So after some time i did the usual maintenance items (air filter replacement, oil change, oil filter replacement, fuel filter replacement, new set of spark plugs) and even checked the distributor cap (nothing wrong) and checked the ignition leads for spark ... all looks good. even cleaned the throttle body + MAF sensor + tightened the throttle linkage. It has even had all the belts tightened as they were a little loose.

Also done a vacuum test, and checked to see if all the fuel injectors are functional.

I have also observed that as its about to stall the rev's drop off from the standard 800-1000 idle revs and drop to about 400.

The car still cuts out...

It has 117,573 miles on it, and has an MOT coming up this month.

I'm just wondering at this point what can be done (and before anyone says it... i already have a OBD2 reader and this car doesn't support OBD2) - It has some dodgy analogue system.

Has anybody got any idea as to what is going on with this, its really baffled me as to why this is happening... But at the same time i'm trying to put off stripping the engine head off, etc...

Possibly! I have not yet looked into this, would this contribute to it stalling in mid-drive with going down gear? :S

I think so..it causes a very similar issue with the ford zetec engine...stalling at junctions,stalling at idle,stalling when you take your foot off the gas...try checking all the pipes involved with the intake side of things for splits or collapses as well..

Since it was late tried the old 'smack it with the back of a screwdriver and look for a change in idle' ... didn't return anything unusual.

There a better way of testing the idle air intake valve? i can see the stepper motor on it so defo found the right bit on the intake :P

It might need to come off and have good clean..my old Landy had the same issue..took it off and gave it a good clean..all OK since..it was easy to get at though 'cos it sit's on the top of the engine...my son's Focus was different story..it's tucked away on the back of and really low down on the engine..don't know about the Mazda...

Archived