University halls of residence.

I loathed being in halls and couldn't wait to escape them. Then again I didn't really enjoy shared houses either and just really wanted to have my own space where I could shut the door on the world when I graduated.

Think that's changed now. All university's guarantee accommodation now. Even if there is no accommodation they put students up in Hotels.

Is that just for 1st years? Sheffield's website says it has accommodation for less than 6,000 students but had in 2012 over 22,000 full-time students. If they can guarantee all 1st years accommodation then that would be great support. I wouldn't worry about being in a hall. At least you'd have guaranteed secure accommodation and be in an environment with other students.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/undergraduates/locations

Is that just for 1st years? Sheffield's website says it has accommodation for less than 6,000 students but had in 2012 over 22,000 full-time students. If they can guarantee all 1st years accommodation then that would be great support. I wouldn't worry about being in a hall. At least you'd have guaranteed secure accommodation and be in an environment with other students.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/undergraduates/locations

Yeah just for first years. You have to move into a student house after that.

Not many students get into halls so if you do then count yourself lucky rather than feel nervous. When I first went to college I had nowhere to stay for the first 4 nights and ended up sharing a room in a hostel in a rough area of London I didn't know with 2 people who couldn't speak English. I then shared a room for 9 months with someone I'd never met before. It toughens you up and teaches you some survival skills. If you can't get into a hall then get a room in a shared house or flat. You'll settle in quickly and in hindsight you look back with most nostalgia on the times you have to go through the pain barrier because that's when life is most interesting and educational as well as the hardest.

Not entirely sure where you get that from because ALL University of Sheffield first years are allocated a room in halls of residence however they are not expected to accept one if they don't wish to.

I note you were in London though things have changed over the past few years and more and more University's offer their own accommodation these days

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 14:43 ----------

Yeah just for first years. You have to move into a student house after that.

You can stay in hall throughout your studies should you wish to however most prefer to live with their friends etc after the first year and have a bit more independence

Archived