Syrian migrants go on hunger strike in France,England is what they wan

Which is the point being made metaphorically. The building is burning, they're not abandoning their kids, they're further protecting them by getting away from the burning building that's crashing around them. Why do you do this stupid analogy stuff? It's pedant and crass.

Has it occurred to you that having dead children around you just might provoke the natural instinct of - **** this, I'm off! kids? pack a bag.

Or is it a case of "hey, I'm brave I'm gonna tool up, by the way kids, get packing too, we're gonna show these good for nothing chemical weapon, tank and helicopter gunship rabble who has the upper hand...c'mon kids!

The North Vietnamese managed to beat the Americans, who were by far the most well equipped army in the world at the time. The Syrian "rebels" have the backing of the entire west.

So you agree then, its not bravery to run away, it might be sensible but definitely not bravery.

That depends on what you're running away from and the uncertainty of what you're running to. You regard bravery as saving your children from a fire..that includes uncertainty. Saving your children by running into uncertainty isn't a brave move? It's the same. You take a risk based on not knowing the outcome. I might think they're brave, Halibut may. You may think it's "sensible", until of course when they knock on your door asking for your help only to be greeted with phlegm, or a good beating at some border control or refugee camp.

Halibut used a positive term to demonstrate some form of solidarity and empathy. You on the other hand seized a pedant moment to reduce the debate, as you ALWAYS do. Then you complain about how hard done you are when someone twists and manipulates your words. Try going with the flow rather than some crass pseudo two syllable bullcrap analysis of a broadly defined and used word .

Of course I don't agree with you, that would be reckless and stupid.

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 23:49 ----------

The North Vietnamese managed to beat the Americans, who were by far the most well equipped army in the world at the time. The Syrian "rebels" have the backing of the entire west.

Yes of course they do HH, I'm sure they feel very confident in your prose. Could you give them a little time to bury their dead first though as I'm slightly suspicious your words may be falling on deaf ears. Thanks for the reassuring input though.:roll:

The debate is about refugees, innocents..you know? those caught in between..kids, grans, granddads, women, children, husbands/wives.

That depends on what you're running away from and the uncertainty of what you're running to. You regard bravery as saving your children from a fire..that includes uncertainty.

No I don't, you are mistaken again.

Saving your children by running into uncertainty isn't a brave move?

I agree, it isn't.

You take a risk based on not knowing the outcome.

Everybody running away from something risks not knowing the outcome, so in your world all cowards must actually be brave, because they didn't know the outcome of running away.

Running out of a burning building into uncertainty with your child, isn't brave, getting your child out and then going back in to save someone elses child, is brave.

I might think they're brave, Halibut may. You may think it's "sensible", until of course when they knock on your door asking for your help only to be greeted with phlegm, or a good beating at some border control or refugee camp.

Being spat at isn't brave.

Halibut used a positive term to demonstrate some form of solidarity and empathy.
Halibut trivialised the word brave and everyone that as done something brave.

You on the other hand seized a pedant moment to reduce the debate, as you ALWAYS do.
No I just corrected an error.

Then you complain about how hard done you are when someone twists and manipulates your words.
So you agree to twisting and manipulating my words.

Try going with the flow rather than some crass pseudo two syllable bullcrap analysis of a broadly defined and used word .
I'm not a sheep, but on this occasion I am going with the flow, it is you that is at odds with it.

Refugees are meant to claim asylum in the first safe country they arrive in. Not the one with the best benefit system.

This is why I do not believe people like this claiming asylum, nor do I believe (be it tragic) that the people who died on the boat crossing to Italy this week where really asylum seekers, but rather economic migrants.

Refugees are meant to claim asylum in the first safe country they arrive in.
The UNHCR website claims 1 million Syrians have sought refuge in neighbouring countries. Do you believe these countries have an infinite capacity to absorb these refugees or does there come a point where they can accept no more?

Only 25,000 have sought refuge in industrialised nations further afield and that could be for many reasons-they might have been educated here (just as the Syrian president was), they might have family already here..these are compelling pull factors.

Economic migrancy exists but it's as much a fallacy as anything said about it that's based in fact..do we honestly believe Syrians aren't seriously being persecuted? Why would a Syrian doctor/teacher/engineer/lawyer leave his/her native country dragging their children behind them to make a (speculative) asylum claim here where they know they'll be unable to work but receive housing benefit and food vouchers?

I'm afraid it's too easy to assume refugees are all fleeing poverty and this country represents some utopia of milk and honey to them.

You'd have a problem with neighbours from Syria?

I'm not the one welcoming them, but you may,

"More UK arrests of Syria terrorism suspects

Two more people have been arrested as part of a Metropolitan Police investigation into suspected terrorism in Syria involving Britons.

A man, 37, and a woman, 36, were arrested at an address in Essex on Wednesday.

This followed the arrest of two men, aged 29 and 22, in Dover, Kent, on arrival from France on Monday. A quantity of ammunition was seized.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24163282

I'm not the one welcoming them, but you may,
I'm not the one welcoming them either, but I'd listen to what they have to say before rejecting them.

"More UK arrests of Syria terrorism suspects

Two more people have been arrested as part of a Metropolitan Police investigation into suspected terrorism in Syria involving Britons.

A man, 37, and a woman, 36, were arrested at an address in Essex on Wednesday.

This followed the arrest of two men, aged 29 and 22, in Dover, Kent, on arrival from France on Monday. A quantity of ammunition was seized.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24163282

Not really sure of our point here, the article refers to terrorism in Syria executed by Britons.

I'm not seeking practical solutions to the problem, Im simply asking whether refugees from a country 'neighbouring' the UK would be welcomed here, just as many posters are suggesting countries close to centres of world conflict are expected to do.

I did not know about all this refugee problem that is massing on the borders of Ireland and Scotland perhaps I read the wrong paper.

Why not send em all to the Isle of Man they can look left and still see Scotland turn right and see Ireland and then have a good fight over Celtic and Rangers.

---------- Post added 06-10-2013 at 09:59 ----------

The North Vietnamese managed to beat the Americans, who were by far the most well equipped army in the world at the time. The Syrian "rebels" have the backing of the entire west.[/quote

And it seems as though they have backed the wrong side !once Again!

Archived