Tram lines - top of the Moor

jay_l_a

I was talking to a workman thats working on the sewers at Firth Park and he say's the tramlines will be back as they were after the work is completed.

There is an exposed tramline on South Rd at Walkley near to the bus stop on the bend as your drivining towards town...but dont run over it cos its sat in a nasty pot hole.

Originally posted by little malc

Does anyone know if the lines which went through Firth Park island have been destroyed? as an ex-pat, I don't get chance to visit there very often, it would be a great shame if yet another piece of our heritage has gone.

Can't say that I know if they are gone. As you say, a great shame. I left Sheff over 20 years ago, but... here's a nice pic of them in the late 40's

http://www.hpac.org.uk/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=5071

I reckon the bus was a 150. Came off Sicey Avenue on it's way to Bridge Street.

It would be a shame if they have been destroyed. Other cities have managed to keep short sections of early 20th century tram lines intact. If they are have dug up (or are going to be) the tram lines at Firth Park, I would pay some decent money to acquire some of the metal that I travelled over as a small boy. Has anybody got info on where the rails may have gone and how I can get my hands on a section?

It's OK to warn about the tram lines on South Rd and the potholebut you should have tried it fifty years ago on a bike or motor bike. If I remeber rightly South Rd was cobbled in parts and when they and the tram lines were wet then you did have to be careful.

Archived