Tram lines - top of the Moor

jay_l_a

Originally posted by Abdul

Those sewer repairs up there have flattened the roundabout.

Are these works still ongoing? It's bad enough trying to negotiate the one way system without these roadworks causing additional chaos. I bet the local businesses are loving it. :(

Originally posted by Lickszz

Are these works still ongoing? :(

I'm afraid they are...and I'm sitting in the Firth Park library as I type!

If I see a workman on the way out, I'll have a word with him to find out how long they'll take. But I must say, I feel it's an ongoing thing - in the past couple of months, the works have moved down Hucklow Road to the Firth Park roundabout, and there are similar works upon Sicey Avenue after the bowling alley

• 6 years later...

I can see this is an old topic but - I'm doing a bit of research into the tram lines on Firth Park roundabout. In particular I'm hoping to discover if they were lifted as part of the 2004 sewer works and then put back, or if they worked round them (difficult?).

By the time trams stopped running through the roundabout the old cobbles had been tarmacked over, the current stone setts are too 'clean' to have been buried then rediscovered, so I'm thinking they were relaid to give the effect you can see today.

Can anyone confirm this for me please?

It's not the fact that anything is buried, just that this little section through the roundabout is perhaps not as authentic as we're led to believe.

If the lines currently laid in that section have been made to look genuine, by being relaid as part of a cosmetic reworking of the roundabout, then I win a bet ;-)

I think the sewer works resulted in them being dug up and put back afterwards, that's the bit I'm trying to verify.

Sorry but there were never trams on Division street.

hiya too true i was working at the time of the old trams being stopped and was working on the road on the crookes route, and i know at the time the tracks were just covered over with tarmac ,these and the lampholes too, the other grates were all lifted to the new tarmac level.

• 1 month later...

There was two sets of tram tracks and two flower tubs inthe shape of a tram front on the moor this was removed around 5 years ago and the tracks recovered . Some where I have photos of them.

Gnerally speaking all the old tram tracks as still insitu odd bits have been removed for road works and the some of the points were taken up but generaly its all there

Archived