How to make parents dislike you..

Stop being so obtuse.

Are you going to answer the question or not? Until you do it's impossible to actually figure out what you are so annoyed about.

I have no issues with Scouting.

I'm sorry but I just don't belive you.

---------- Post added 08-10-2013 at 08:27 ----------

I just think live and let live. If parents want to enrol there kids in a religiously motivated organisation. You may not like religion very much but a lot of people do. Also most kids grow into mature, intelligent people who will decide on religion by themselves. I agree with you on the gender front and am slightly sympathetic on the gun front but think people should really do what they want as long as it does not harm others.

Scouting is as religious as you want it to be, which can include not being religious at all. Gender wise, I have Scouts, there's no real distinction between the two.

Hands up those who have guns a God in their lives who would turn empty and barren somewhat less fulfilling if they were all of a sudden to disappear?
:wave:

Me likes me shooting and occasional hunting. It's a skill. Not a very useful one in this day and age, but then neither is fishing or fencing.

Couldn't give one fig about religion or the promotion of gender imbalance, though.

Accordingly, our daughter is not christened/baptised, is brought up to be equally interested in/curious about/respectful of all forms of (mainstream) religion, and enjoys attending Brownies every week. And may go on her first shoot this season.

Not sure where that all leaves your argument, but hey-ho, small contribution to the thread :)

Start a Scout troop.

Buy a rifle.

Take them shooting.

Most of the parents, fine.. no issues. Then there are the really gobby ones that just want to cause an argument.... hello - you signed a chuffing form that said you gave permission for little Johhny and Jessica to go and shoot a rifle at some targets so why moan now...

Serious question then to all the parents out there... would you be happy for your 10-18 year olds to use a rifle supervised on a rifle range - if not why not...? These are .22LR smallbore and roundel targets.

So what were the parents actually upset about?

EDIT: As for the issue of "gun culture" I think guns are very misunderstood and too generalised by attitude.

For example, I have no problem with rifles for sport (I shoot field target) and see it in the same mould as archery, darts , bowling and many other target sports.

Semi-automatic pistols and assault rifles, on the other hand, have no place in society in my opinion.

We are the advanced species on this planet, you wouldn't think it would you? You're right that children do grow and mature, but teaching our kids through the promotion of the idea that your gender is important other than what is obvious, seems a bit odd. Even the Girl Scouts are up in arms about it.

My Bold: I couldn't agree more. But once you introduce religion, that for me is a cause of concern as it isn't "live and let live". Actually the proof is in the pudding..if you believe in a pixie you'll believe in anything, inc weapons, guns, gender, race, and many other issues, it tends to come as a package. You only have to look around at what's happening in the name of it. The Scouts do promote this, even if that promotion is disguised by canoeing, camp fire songs, and one legged races etc. We don't need guns and God to live full lives.

Hands up those who have guns a God in their lives who would turn empty and barren if they were all of a sudden to disappear?

I've never been a scout so I really don't know to what extent religion is part of the organisation but It doesn't seem a overly religious organisation it just has reference go God in its oath like most places seem to. Also i thought the scouts are removing the reference to God in the oath.

So what were the parents actually upset about?

EDIT: As for the issue of "gun culture" I think guns are very misunderstood and too generalised by attitude.

For example, I have no problem with rifles for sport (I shoot field target) and see it in the same mould as archery, darts , bowling and many other target sports.

Semi-automatic pistols and assault rifles, on the other hand, have no place in society in my opinion.

Basically that was teaching them "about guns" and "guns are dangerous" and "it's irresponsible". They had nothing more than that and it was repeating the same position without elaborating on it, much like people are on here sadly. I think that they were annoyed they'd just signed a bit of paper because their children had given it them and they hadn't even read it. This despite the fact I'd sent them the relevant forms that said the activitiy would be "Shooting with air rifle, air pistol, .22LR smallbore rifle on an approved range". I don't know how I can make that any clearer really but if they don;t read it which I suspect may have been the case then of course this will happen..

I'd be surprised if most (male) adults over about 30 haven't in their childhood had some contact with firearms. As we don't have a gun culture problem though, clearly this level of contact is not problematic, and so I see no reason why it shouldn't continue.

The girls in scouting are equals and get to do everything the boys do, canoeing, climbing, archery, shooting, camping, tracking, cooking, building shelter, fires, survival training, first aid training, fire safety in the home, to name but a few. None of it was compulsory including the religious aspect, child and perents could opt out of any activity.
our girl scouts over here get to do one thing the boys don't. They learn to ride horses properly. Horses have no respect for juvenile male morons.:)

I've never been a scout so I really don't know to what extent religion is part of the organisation but It doesn't seem a overly religious organisation it just has reference go God in its oath like most places seem to. Also i thought the scouts are removing the reference to God in the oath.

I was in the cubs and scouts and the only thing religious about it was in the oath (that's changed now I think) and as a 10 year old I don't think I really took saying the oath seriously..it was just something we did at the beginning of every meeting.

In the US, most scout troops muster in church halls of whatever religion is available. Scouts don't have to be of any particular religion to attend or can be atheists if they prefer. The principle is the same as applies to all American life, total separation of church and state.

Archived