Schools failing in RE

Strange that someone would disagree without having the data/info to disagree with.

Anyway, for a start there's Buddhism, Scientology, Nontheistic Quakers and Laveyan Satanism

Can you indicate what % of the population are adherents to these obscure movements,and also your criteria to distinguish religions from cults,sects and money-making scams?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/subdivisions/theravada_1.shtml

Theravada beliefs

The Supernatural: Many faiths offer supernatural solutions to the spiritual problems of human beings. Buddhism does not. The basis of all forms of Buddhism is to use meditation for awakening (or enlightenment), not outside powers.

Supernatural powers are not disregarded but they are incidental and the Buddha warned against them as fetters on the path.

The Buddha: Siddhartha Gautama was a man who became Buddha, the Awakened One - much in the same way as Jesus became Christ. Since his death the only contact with him is through his teachings which point to the awakened state.

God: There is no omnipotent creator God of the sort found in Judaism, Islam and Christianity. Gods exist as various types of spiritual being but with limited powers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/subdivisions/theravada_1.shtml

Theravada beliefs

The Supernatural: Many faiths offer supernatural solutions to the spiritual problems of human beings. Buddhism does not. The basis of all forms of Buddhism is to use meditation for awakening (or enlightenment), not outside powers.

Supernatural powers are not disregarded but they are incidental and the Buddha warned against them as fetters on the path.

The Buddha: Siddhartha Gautama was a man who became Buddha, the Awakened One - much in the same way as Jesus became Christ. Since his death the only contact with him is through his teachings which point to the awakened state.

God: There is no omnipotent creator God of the sort found in Judaism, Islam and Christianity. Gods exist as various types of spiritual being but with limited powers.

Ah, the BBC oversimplified something, must be fact then.

By "gods" they're probably referring to the deities that some Buddhists believe/used to believe in. It's a pity our resident Buddhist PaliRichard isn't around any more to put you straight.

There is no scripture, laws or doctrine that says to be a Buddhist you must believe in any gods (which is what the original question was about).

The few Buddhists I have known (including PaliRichard) certainly don't believe in them.

From here (apparently the opinion of Buddhists themselves)...

• Belief in Deity

The concept of a supreme Creator God is rejected or at least considered irrelevant to Theravada Buddhism. Buddha, "the Awakened One," is revered above all--not as "God" but as supreme sage, model of a fully enlightened person.

• Incarnations

Buddha was a human, a fully enlightened spiritual teacher and inspiration. As there is no belief in or relevant God, there are no incarnations of God worshipped.

There are many sites which explain Theravada in various ways. I've yet to see one (of any authority/credibility) which states any actual belief in gods as being part of that religion.

Another example here

---------- Post added 08-10-2013 at 22:40 ----------

Can you indicate what % of the population are adherents to these obscure movements

Why would I give a fig about who adheres to what religion?

and also your criteria to distinguish religions from cults,sects and money-making scams?

Many are all four rolled up into one. For the sake of argument, I usually refer to dictionary definitions..

Religion

-the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods

-[count noun] a particular system of faith and worship

-[count noun] a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion

Cult

-a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular

-a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members

-a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular thing

Sect

-a group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.

-often derogatory a group that has separated from an established Church; a nonconformist Church

-a philosophical or political group, especially one regarded as extreme or dangerous

...and if they make money out of it in a dishonest way, then they also fit the bill of "money making scam" in my opinion

Therein lies the great imbalance. When people talk about extreme/radical theists, they're usually referring to people who commit atrocities in the name of their god/s.When people talk about radical/extreme atheists they're usually referring to someone who tells theists that their beliefs are stupid.

(Same comparison when they talk about militant theists/atheists)

That may be part of it.

For instance I got a little annoyed just now when I selected a video on you tube to view and read a comment below saying- " What a load of s**t that is, go peddle your worthless religious belief somewhere else" :hihi:

Based on evidence from 200 schools, some didn't know who Jesus was, and many more couldn't say why he was important.

I bet most don't know about countless other ancient mythologies too. And it's not necessarily a bad thing is it. I mean, kids still seem to function OK without having knowledge of the iliad. So it's hardly detrimental.

In a Country which played a large part in the formation of the modern Christian Church,- forming its own Church of England, I find this disturbing.

It is nice to know a little of our history; especially the grittier side. Although I'd find it far more disturbing if people clung to that history as though it was something that shouldn't be moved away from. Not moving away from it would mean society would stagnate and that there would be no or little progression(like often seen in some Islamic societies).

With the upsurge in militant Islam surely it's important to arm children with at least the basics in order to combat what seems to be a dogmatic, and intransigent branch of the Islamic faith.

Yes, they should be armed with the basics: to question authority and to think critically.

I would prefer to live in an easy going Christian country that respects other faiths, than a hardline Islamic one that crushes all opposition.

I would prefer to live in a country that respects the right for people to have a religion or no religion. A country that keeps religion separate from the state - and doesn't favour and privilege one particular group over another: a secular country.

You don't have to be a Church goer to realise that Christianity, and the Church of England, subtlely underpins much of what we value in this country.

And a lot of what many of us value in this country, from women's rights to gay rights, from stone henge to democracy have nothing to do with Christianity.

There's no point in flogging a dead horse. If people are no longer interested in Christianity, or losing beliefs in the supernatural clap-trap pushed by religion, that's great. It shows it's time to move on.

Ah, the BBC oversimplified something, must be fact then.

By "gods" they're probably referring to the deities that some Buddhists believe/used to believe in. It's a pity our resident Buddhist PaliRichard isn't around any more to put you straight.

There is no scripture, laws or doctrine that says to be a Buddhist you must believe in any gods (which is what the original question was about).

The few Buddhists I have known (including PaliRichard) certainly don't believe in them.

From here (apparently the opinion of Buddhists themselves)...

There are many sites which explain Theravada in various ways. I've yet to see one (of any authority/credibility) which states any actual belief in gods as being part of that religion.

Another example here

---------- Post added 08-10-2013 at 22:40 ----------

Why would I give a fig about who adheres to what religion?

Many are all four rolled up into one. For the sake of argument, I usually refer to dictionary definitions..

...and if they make money out of it in a dishonest way, then they also fit the bill of "money making scam" in my opinion

I could have linked to any number of websites describing the Gods of Buddhism, I chose the BBC because I felt it was more reliable than Wikipedia.

There is no requirement in the definition of God for it to be a supreme Creator God.

And I know many Christians that don't believe in God, but that doesn't change the fact that Christianity as a religion is based on there being a God.

Theravada is not without Gods

As I say, it's essentially a cod pschology scheme designed to make money.

yes and there was a time when the only rich people around were the catholic church:hihi:

go to some places in africa and amongst the extreme poverty every so often there will be a couple of beautiful, expensive buildings-a catholic church and opposite, a mosque!

Archived