Schools failing in RE

Clearly not, so what definition of religion are you using.

Because its not this one.

Religion the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods:

No, it's this one;

-a particular system of faith and worship

...which I highlighted in bold earlier

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 15:00 ----------

MrSmith's dictionary time. When he squeezes the joy out of life, and turns words upside down.

Anyway, buddhism doesn't worship a God. Neither does Scientology. A million words won't turn a truth into a falsehood.

He is indeed starting to come across very much like Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus, is it another account I didn't notice before?

This thread has turned into the usual thoroughly tedious mire. I thought it was about schools failing in RE rather than tedious droning about the existence or other wise of God (or Gods).

I haven't seen any of this discussion about whether or not God/s exist

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 16:31 ----------

R.E. like any other subject should teach facts. They should not be teaching people what to believe or how to be religious. It should cover all top tier religions in some detail, and touch on mid tier, with additional of religion in law and impact on society. There should not be any bias.

I think the best use of RE would be to make people aware of religions and also aware that you don't have to follow one if you are under pressure to do so (ie, being raised to do so).

No, it's this one;

-a particular system of faith and worship

...which I highlighted in bold earlier

So just about anything can be described as a religion using that definition, and its fundamentally different to a religion which uses this definition, (the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods:) Which is why I posted this.

That would depend on the definition of religion you are using.

And none of this alter the fact the there are Buddhist Gods and Goddesses

So just about anything can be described as a religion using that definition, and its fundamentally different to a religion which uses this definition, (the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods:) Which is why I posted this.

Now is Marxism-Leninism a superhuman controlling power?

No, it can't.

Some examples; A kitten, a cloud formation, a spare wheel, photosynthesis, absence of belief

And none of this alter the fact the there are Buddhist Gods and Goddesses

I think you're missing my point, I haven't said that there are no gods in Buddhism, Devas (which have been translated by some as gods) are present in Buddhism literature and mythology. There may be some Buddhists that believe the Devas actually did/actually do exist, but you might find that most buddhists view the Devas as a metaphorical thing, or just mythology.

My original point is that Buddhism can be without the claim that any gods (currently, if ever at all) exist. Buddhism was just one of the examples.

EDIT: From your own link...

In addition to following the teachings of Buddha, most Buddhists also recognize various gods and demons, many of which take on different forms. Many Buddhist also recognize Hindu gods, Taoist gods, local deities partly out of respect and partly so as not to offend them. Belief in these gods somewhat goes against Buddha’s teachings. The Buddha did not claim to be of divine origin nor did he claim revelations from heaven or meditate or pray a higher being.

I may "recognise" many gods, but I don't claim that they actually exist

No, it can't.

Some examples; A kitten, a cloud formation, a spare wheel, photosynthesis, absence of belief

Faith in and worship of a kitten,

Faith in and worship of a cloud formation,

Faith in and worship of a spare wheel,

Faith in and worship of photosynthesis,

Faith in and worship of someones absence of belief. Would all be religions.

I think you're missing my point, I haven't said that there are no gods in Buddhism, Devas (which have been translated by some as gods) are present in Buddhism literature and mythology. There may be some Buddhists that believe the Devas actually did/actually do exist, but you might find that most buddhists view the Devas as a metaphorical thing, or just mythology.

My original point is that Buddhism can be without the claim that any gods (currently, if ever at all) exist. Buddhism was just one of the examples.

EDIT: From your own link...

I may "recognise" many gods, but I don't claim that they actually exist

No I'm not missing the point, I already said that some Christians and Muslims are without belief in God. But that doesn't alter the fact that God is a fundamental part of those religions, just as Gods are a fundamental part of Buddhism, that doesn't change just because some Buddhists don't claim that they actually exist.

'the hell are you talking about?

"Faith in and worship of a kitten" does not equate to "a kitten"

"Faith in and worship of a cloud formation" does not equate to "a cloud formation"

"Faith in and worship of a spare wheel" does not equate to "a spare wheel"

"Faith in and worship of photosynthesis" does not equate to "photosynthesis"

"Faith in and worship of someones absence of belief" does not equate to "absence of belief"

You appear to be somewhat confused, all you've done is take the things I listed and added "faith in and worship of" to them, as though that makes your opinion logical.

No I'm not missing the point, I already said that some Christians and Muslims are without belief in God. But that doesn't alter the fact that God is a fundamental part of those religions, just as Gods are a fundamental part of Buddhism, that doesn't change just because some Buddhists don't claim that they actually exist.
You're moving the goal posts. I haven't claimed that gods aren't a part of Buddhism, read my last post and also my first post on the subject, including Avidcameron's question, to which my post was answering.

You're also wandering into strawman territory, the vast majority of Christians and Muslims do claim that gods exist, whereas the majority of Buddhists (as far as I'm aware) don't. That's hardly a like for like comparison.

EDIT: Angos, are you another account of Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus? The similarities are astounding

From what I understand, there are whole branches of Buddhism(Theravada & Mahayana) that don't believe in god - or have a god. I also thought the nature of Buddhism was to let go of all those concepts in order to become enlightened or reach Nirvana.

Also, I believe the devas in Buddhism aren't gods but are beings that live and die like us; although they exist in different planes of existence. I'm not sure but I also think Buddha argued against the idea of god. God isn't a fundamental part of Buddhism.

Archived