Schools failing in RE

Also, I believe the devas in Buddhism aren't gods but are beings that live and die like us; although they exist in different planes of existence. I'm not sure but I also think Buddha argued against the idea of god. God isn't a fundamental part of Buddhism.

You're right (about ANY gods in Buddhism), it's in the first paragraph of the link that Angos himself provided :hihi:

You're right (about ANY gods in Buddhism), it's in the first paragraph of the link that Angos himself provided :hihi:

Did the Buddha believe in God, the One God of the desert, the God of the Christians, Jews and Muslims?

Well... No... He didn't... Monotheism (only one God) was a foreign concept to the Buddha, his world was filled with many gods. The creator god Brahma being the most important one.

A quote from the above:

"Moreover RE teaching often fails to challenge and extend pupils' ability to explore fundamental questions about human life, religion and belief."

Would a religion want teaching to do the above?

Would a fundamentalist "Christian" family welcome their children being taught to explore their beliefs, as such exploration often leads to falling away from the "faith"?

Bishop John Selby Spong describes such a personal journey in his book "Here I Stand".

I have received a message from Mr Fish regarding Bishop Spong,and now plan to read this volume when I can order one.I am hoping a nearby school will have a copy.

Did the Buddha believe in God, the One God of the desert, the God of the Christians, Jews and Muslims?

Well... No... He didn't... Monotheism (only one God) was a foreign concept to the Buddha, his world was filled with many gods. The creator god Brahma being the most important one.

Angos, maybe it depends on the branch of Buddhism, but Brahm, according to Buddha, was just a deva and not a god - http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha068.htm

Are you kidding? He didn't claim that ANY gods exist, why do you keep trying to bring monotheism into it? What exactly is your point?

Okay, I'm convinced now that you are indeed just another account belonging to Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus. This is exactly the type of floundering he displays from the deck of his sinking ships.

Angos, maybe it depends on the branch of Buddhism, but Brahm, according to Buddha, was just a deva and not a god - http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha068.htm

Just a different name for God.

Deva

a divine being or god in Hinduism and Buddhism

And from your link.

Buddhism speaks of the existence of category of beings called devas. This term is generally translated as "gods"

but in Buddhist texts the supreme god is referred to as Mah�-Brahm� (or simply Brahm�) who was the chief of a class of gods called the Brahm�s

Oh wow, another nail in the coffin, I just realised you plagiarised this, another trait of Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus's (from here)

---------- Post added 12-10-2013 at 20:40 ----------

Deva

And from your link.

Buddhism speaks of the existence of category of beings called devas. This term is generally translated as "gods"

See posts on the previous page where you pick and mix your dictionaries, also see my response.

What is your point? What/who are you arguing against?

Deva

And from your link.

but in Buddhist texts the supreme god is referred to as Mah�-Brahm� (or simply Brahm�) who was the chief of a class of gods called the Brahm�s

And from the same link, the essay concludes: The path of the Buddha cannot be followed if a person is deluded by the notion of God. This is why a correct understanding of all the ramifications of the God-idea is essential for anyone seeking to progress along the Buddhist path to total liberation.

Totally going against your notion that God is fundamental to Buddhism.

And from the same link, the essay concludes: The path of the Buddha cannot be followed if a person is deluded by the notion of God. This is why a correct understanding of all the ramifications of the God-idea is essential for anyone seeking to progress along the Buddhist path to total liberation.

Totally going against your notion that God is fundamental to Buddhism.

I disagree,

According to Buddha, Brahm was a Deva which is just a different way of saying God, which is a completely different concept of God to the God of the Christians, Jews a Muslims, but still Gods.

A deva (देव Sanskrit and Pāli) in Buddhism is one of many different types of non-human beings who share the characteristics of being more powerful, longer-lived, and, in general, living more contentedly than the average human being.

Other words used in Buddhist texts to refer to similar supernatural beings are devatā "deity" and devaputra (Pāli: devaputta) "son of the gods". It is unclear what the distinction between these terms is.

---------- Post added 12-10-2013 at 21:02 ----------

See posts on the previous page where you pick and mix your dictionaries, also see my response.

Its doesn't matter which dictionary I use, they all say the same, Deva means God.

Archived