Schools failing in RE

I agree Anna. I don't even want to contemplate the probability of replacing what we have with something much worse.

It wouldn't need replacing, an absence would be just fine

---------- Post added 07-10-2013 at 09:55 ----------

I certainly agree it's a mess.

So much for Multiculturalism. When it began in the fifties did people think that it would end in the downgrading of the Church of England to just another also ran? Were they ever consulted?

Is that what you think, that multiculturalism is responsible for the decline of the C of E?

Nothing to do with simply less people believing?

America which has been used in this thread as an example may have a form of multiculturalism, but they insist on people being American first, whether it be Irish American, Latin American, Afro American etc. But American nontheless. They ALL salute the American flag every day.

Sounds a little like idolatry

We have nothing like that to compare, just an inate Englishness that is wrapped up inexplicably (and not particularly religiously) with the Church of England. I'm afraid that if we lose that we also lose a sense of what it is to be English.

That's why I think it should be defended.

The C of E may have had an influence (for good or bad) in how England is today, but that doesn't mean the country will fall apart if it's gone. You can keep your "Englishness" without having to have religion, your values and morals can all be taught and passed down to younger generations without involving any gods, prophets or messiahs

It wouldn't need replacing, an absence would be just fine
An absence wouldn't last long. You're being a little naïve if you seriously think something wouldn't seek to replace it. The door would be open for something far more controlling to take over.

An absence wouldn't last long. You're being a little naïve if you seriously think something wouldn't seek to replace it. The door would be open for something far more controlling to take over.

In what way? If the Church was separated from state, any replacement would have to be agreed upon officially.

If you're thinking more along the lines of some unofficial cult or rival religion becoming more popular, that can already happen, the Church isn't a barrier against that.

I don't think the Christian Tony Benn has actually retired yet

Yes he has.

The Lords Spiritual are in The House of Lords. Why a group of men are in Parliament out of solid fact that they are church members, and can rule on something effecting everyone in the nation, is backwards, anachronistic and undemocratic - in my view.

I'm sure Tony Benn would agree too.

In what way? If the Church was separated from state, any replacement would have to be agreed upon officially.

If you're thinking more along the lines of some unofficial cult or rival religion becoming more popular, that can already happen, the Church isn't a barrier against that.

Depending on the cult or what the rival religion could be its a pity it isn't a barrier.

And what about radical atheism getting too powerful, if that was to happen some of you posting on here would be in for a bit of a :o

Archived