Schools failing in RE

I don't think RE should be taught in schools-its not their place and it definitely should not be taught as part of the national curriculum. It should only be taught as part of a subject that includes all religion and atheism although I think it is best just not to teach it at all. You learn to accept people by working with them so you can learn everything you need about being part of a society that includes religious groups etc in Maths/PE/English and the important, useful subjects.

Yes he has.

The Lords Spiritual are in The House of Lords. Why a group of men are in Parliament out of solid fact that they are church members, and can rule on something effecting everyone in the nation, is backwards, anachronistic and undemocratic - in my view.

I'm sure Tony Benn would agree too.

Yes he would agree with you. He doesn't have much time for the Monarchy system and tradition.

If this is the case, which I no doubt it is (nowadays)

Where do Children get their Morals from? Forgive me, but not from parents - very few families have two parents at home, and those with only one parent are to busy surviving to teach or be taught manners let alone morals. I came from what was basically a one parent family in the 50s (Now that was bad), but as kids we were taught the difference between right and wrong.

Was it only a southern thing in those days, but my brothers and I went to "Sunshine Corner" I religious gathering, that used to take place on common land, where we learnt the basics of the Christian church.

urr yes, from your parents, from what you read, from what you watch, from your peers, from your idols. I don't know what having two parents at home has to do with it?

You learn from religion things like you will go to hell if you do x, y and z. That isn't learning morals, its being threatened!

Schools failing in RE?

That's nothing ... Potions, Transfiguration, Charms and Defense Against The Dark Arts aren't getting taught at all!

Seriously though, whilst teaching about comparative religions and their histories might be useful, the real danger lies in the schools that are teaching it as fact and indoctrinating kids. RE should have no privileged input into the syllabus, and as with other subjects, the syllabus should be nationally determined by independent educationalists without an agenda.

Yes you can. I've never attended Church in my life, but I consider myself to be a Spiritual person.

Spiritual and Religious are not necessarily the same thing. I am not an Athiest, but neither am I religious, it causes problems and divisions as people have said. Religion is a man-made power trip. I love God but hate religion. I don't believe God wants anybody to burn in Hell, just to live a good life, appreciate life and help others where ever they can.

People say they are spiritual but not religious when they don't follow one of the organised religions - that's not the same as not being religious. So you have your own personal religion. Then you discuss your beliefs with someone else and they decide to adopt them and before you know it you have lots of people following the same religion.

I'm still interested in hearing what your claimed "very militant wing" of atheism does that is very militant.

I'm still interested in hearing what your claimed "very militant wing" of atheism does that is very militant.

I can't speak for Anna, but I know what I mean by "militant wing"

New atheist fanatics who given the chance to exercise power, would be as bad as militant theists.

New atheist fanatics

How does one "fanatically not believe" in something?

If I'm a fanatic atheist, then I'm also fanatically aSanta, or aEaster Bunny too.

It's a silly term. The real danger comes from tyranny, not atheism. I'm happy fanatically opposing people who want to push their beliefs into my life. That's my battle.

How does "fanatically not believe" in something?

If I'm a fanatic atheist, then I'm also fanatically aSanta, or aEaster Bunny too.

It's a silly term. The real danger comes from tyranny, not atheism. I'm happy fanatically opposing people who want to push their beliefs into my life. That's my battle.

Yep, I think people that use the term "militant atheist" are being deliberately misleading.

Was Stalin horrible because of his atheism or his tyrannical application of Communism? Is Mugabe horrible because of his theism, or because of his tyrannical application of nationalism?

Theism and atheism motivate nothing. One can neither be a "militant theist" or a "militant atheist".

Religion however ...

People say they are spiritual but not religious when they don't follow one of the organised religions - that's not the same as not being religious. So you have your own personal religion. Then you discuss your beliefs with someone else and they decide to adopt them and before you know it you have lots of people following the same religion.

A group Athiests had a display on Fargate, leaflets etc. I can't remember the actual name of the organisation, but they seemed to be well organised and official. They were as blinded by their beliefs as any High Church God botherer, and not open to any discussion at all. I was surprised by their intolerance and hardline attitudes, (and rudeness.) Nobody knows anything for sure, but their certainty was chilling and as fundamentalist as anything you'd come across.

It seems they want to crush the church completely - mainly it seems because of political reasons and cost, regardless of what it might do to people's personal beliefs and communities. Rather stupidly I'd assumed that they would have had a live and let live attitude, ('we don't believe but understand others might') but not a bit of it. I was reminded of communist Russia...

They absolutely refused to countanance even the vaguest possibility that there might be more to this world than is visible (even scientists have a more open mind on that one) to the point of being abusive (I always try to listen and remain polite but these good manners were not returned.)

I suppose I should have expected it, but I've never met anyone who hasn't respected another's point of view even if they didn't agree with it.

All in all an unpleasant encounter and a bad advertisement for their organisation I thought.

Archived