Henry Wilson of Westbrook

manzmanz

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Henry Wilson....was a snuff manufacturer along with Joseph. I used to work for J & H Wilson snuff manufacturers in the 80's until their closure I was one of the last people to work at the mill, that is Westbrook Mill at the top of Sharrowvale Road NOT the mill with the waterwheel, that is run by Wilson's & Company. You wouldn't believe how many people assume Wilsons & Co are/were the only snuff manufacturers in Sheffield.

In 1833 Joseph and Henry decided to set up their own mill (Westbrook) after a family feud with the 'other Wilsons', Wilsons & Co just up the road, they were shunned and were considered ahead of their time as they used mechanical grinders and 'modern' machinery.

I don't know anything about this marble thing, tell me more, J & H were long gone by the time I got there 133 years later, I know the company was passed onto someone called Harland? Then it was bought out by Imperial Tobacco (Ogdens) and later by Lord Hanson who sold t'mill as it was grade II listed and worth a bob or two. The snuff manufacture was moved to Liverpool but the mill is now converted to solicitors and professionals and my office is also converted, would love to go back for a nosey.

I guess Knowle Lane in S11 is near Westbrook Mill so it could be my former long gone employer, might take a look, can anyone see it or is it a private house? There were always loads of paintings and antiques but I didn't know about this!

It's very obvious when driving up or down Knowle Lane, it's on the left-hand side going down.

It's an enormous marble feature in the front garden of a private house, you can't possibly miss it.

I must see this, might have a look on Google earth....maybe they have family ties, I mean why else would you want this in your garden?

---------- Post added 06-10-2013 at 20:21 ----------

I've been up and down there on Google Earth and can't see anything, what am I looking for, how big is it, what colour is it? What kind of feature is it pleae?

---------- Post added 06-10-2013 at 20:50 ----------

That's right annoying, no one will see this thread now it's been moved!

The item referred to appeared in Knowle Lane in the early summer, which probably explains why it is not visible (yet) on Google earth. The rest of what I know is hearsay and vague memories. It used to be on the Hunters Bar roundabout, and originally was a memorial placed at Hunters Bar to commemorate a member of the Wilson family who met an untimely end. It was removed from Hunters Bar as part of one of the alterations to the road, perhaps in the 1960s; I'm sure I remember it there, or is that a false memory? It reappeared in a farmer's field on Cottage Lane, off Trap Lane (between the 'rec' and Hangram Lane), not far from Ringinglow Road. It was there for many years, looking like a pink grand piano in the middle of the field. Though it is a trough, I never saw a horse near it. I have been told that it was offered to the Botanical Gardens, but they turned it down, upon which the current owner had it cleaned up and put on display in the front garden. Amongst other things, local history books are published from that address, and I guess the owner wanted to preserve a handsome piece of local history, and allow people to see it rather than put it in the back garden.

That is my understanding; but others may have better/more information.

JohnE

Henry Wilson was also the Chairman of Tennant Bros. Millsands Bridge St. before Whitbread moved in. He would be Chairman in the 50s/60s.

He obviously owned his Snuff mill as well.

Archived