Mother in Law - what do you call her??

I knew my ex husband when I was a little girl, we used to play together. I always called his mother "Aunty Violet" but at the wedding reception I said something to her and drew her attention by saying it.......she almost jumped down my throat and boomed "I'm your mother now". Well she wasn't and she never would be. I just used to say something like Ermmm if I wanted to speak to her from then on in........

I call my Mother in Law by her first name, always have all these years.

Would have felt weird to call her Mum and I'm sure it would have felt weird to her too!

I knew my ex husband when I was a little girl, we used to play together. I always called his mother "Aunty Violet" but at the wedding reception I said something to her and drew her attention by saying it.......she almost jumped down my throat and boomed "I'm your mother now". Well she wasn't and she never would be. I just used to say something like Ermmm if I wanted to speak to her from then on in........

Ahh, my heart goes out to you having read this!

I have 3 sons and longed for a daughter ,I hoped when my son got married his wife would call me Mother or similar but unfortunately not . She doesn't actually call me anything haha we do have a good relationship though which is all that matters .

Archived