Problems with Brilliant White Gloss Paint

Afew years ago, my cousin's son in Australia discovered an additive which would prevent brilliant white paint yellowing.

Contacted the major paint manufacturers who told him they weren't interested.

Wonder why not ?!!

Perhaps it violated new VOC limits?I am sure at least one manufacture would like a USP for their brand.

I just use brilliant white silk emulsion, on all the internal timber and walls, and it never goes yellow.

:rolleyes:Emulsion paint is the worst thing to apply to woodwork. Really bad idea.

---------- Post added 08-10-2013 at 17:29 ----------

I have used Dulux trade high gloss, no yellowing and a fab shine.

Give it a year or so in a room with no direct sun....and it will look like custard, I'm afraid.

Perhaps it violated new VOC limits?I am sure at least one manufacture would like a USP for their brand.

Could it be that they would suffer a big drop in sales if it retained its' original whiteness longer? Profit comes to mind.

I used Dulux Satin Finish for years with no discoloration taking place until 2 years ago when it went really yellow. Last year I had a decorator who used Dulux Egg Shell which at the time looked a bit "watery" to me but, a year on and there's no yellowing.

Could it be that they would suffer a big drop in sales if it retained its' original whiteness longer? Profit comes to mind.

The exact opposite. If their paint stays white people will recommend them and continue to use the brand. If the paint yellows then they're not going to use the same brand. Therefore loss of sales and recommendations and the exact opposite of what you think.

What you say would work if they bought from the same manufacturer again and again every time the paint yellowed, which only an idiot would do.

I used Dulux Satin Finish for years with no discoloration taking place until 2 years ago when it went really yellow. Last year I had a decorator who used Dulux Egg Shell which at the time looked a bit "watery" to me but, a year on and there's no yellowing.

That's because it is probably a waterbased eggshell.

It's only the oil-based paints which are a problem.

If there's was the only one that actually stayed white then they would suffer a huge increase in sales as everyone switched to buying their brand. Profit does indeed come to mind. People would even pay extra for a product which lasted longer.

:rolleyes:Emulsion paint is the worst thing to apply to woodwork. Really bad idea.

I haven't encountered any problems with it in the past thirty years, its stay white, cleans easily and is easy to apply when you decorate. I've even used it outside to paint a child's play house and it lasted years.

Why do you think its a bad idea?

Emulsion paint consists of pigment, synthetic particles and water. After application, the water evaporates, leaving the pigment and synthetics, usually acrylic, on the surface. As they dry, these synthetics coalesce, so that subsequent exposure to water does not affect them. Emulsion paint is often called latex paint, although latex rubber is not an ingredient. Emulsion paint is versatile and can be used in many ways.

Use emulsion paint on walls, ceilings, brick, plaster, concrete, wood and metal. It also can be used by artists for large projects.

Archived