Problems with Brilliant White Gloss Paint

Can you get water based emulsion that has a gloss finish?

You can get water based gloss paint which is just a little shinier that silk emulation, its a bit more expensive and is just as easy to apply, but the end result isn't much different.

I think all water based paints are emulsion,water being the emulsifier.They may have a gloss finish but cannot be rubbed down and lack the durability of an oil based paint ie cannot be used outdoors.

They can, because once the water as evaporated you are left with a water proof service, many years ago it was common practice to water proof concrete garden ponds with emulsion.

I think all water based paints are emulsion,water being the emulsifier.They may have a gloss finish but cannot be rubbed down and lack the durability of an oil based paint ie cannot be used outdoors.

Yes, they can, for example Dulux Weathershield waterbased gloss, which I have found to be very durable even in Yorkshire weather.

I know of no professional decorator who would dream of putting emulsion paint intended for walls, on wood, or anywhere outside. The cost is not really an issue, as woodwork takes relatively little paint in any case.

Yes, they can, for example Dulux Weathershield waterbased gloss, which I have found to be very durable even in Yorkshire weather.

I know of no professional decorator who would dream of putting emulsion paint intended for walls, on wood, or anywhere outside. The cost is not really an issue, as woodwork takes relatively little paint in any case.

Thanks I will add the WBG to my must try list.

Out of the thousands of professional decorators in the UK, how many of them do you know?

Out of the thousands of professional decorators in the UK, how many of them do you know?

Well, I am one myself and I know a far few personally...and I contribute to a decorating forum which keeps me in touch with what others are doing and what products they are using.

Obviously not thousands, but then I never claimed to. I simply said I did not know of any who would be so barmy as to do what you are recommending.

Believe me, emulsion paint is a no-brainer choice for wood or exterior work. I'm sure you won't, and that you'll carry on using it just for the hell of it/cheapness, whatever, but to be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less. I bet if you employed a professional decorator and he or she started putting wall emulsion on the skirting boards, you'd soon object.

Archived