Problems with Brilliant White Gloss Paint

Well, I am one myself and I know a far few personally...and I contribute to a decorating forum which keeps me in touch with what others are doing and what products they are using.

Is this a side line to your teaching.

Obviously not thousands, but then I never claimed to. I simply said I did not know of any who would be so barmy as to do what you are recommending.

Believe me, emulsion paint is a no-brainer choice for wood or exterior work. I'm sure you won't, and that you'll carry on using it just for the hell of it/cheapness, whatever, but to be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less. I bet if you employed a professional decorator and he or she started putting wall emulsion on the skirting boards, you'd soon object.

So as a painter and decorator did you ever take any qualification in the chemical make up of emulsion and do you fully understand how it works? Have you ever used it in the way I described?

and if so what results did you get?

If not how can you express an opinion that's its barmy?

Baring in mind I've used it in the way I described for the past thirty years, it is easy to apply, keep clean and stays white, once dry it is waterproof and will survive the element if applied to wood outside.

P.S.

I haven't recommended that anyone use it out side, I simply stated that I have and it lasted for years on a child's play house.

I wouldn't employ a painter and decorator so would have no reason to kick off. And you clearly could care less because if you didn't, you wouldn't keep banging on about how wrong you think I am.

I simply did not want others with no experience of paint to think it was a good choice, as your endorsement of it seems to suggest. And you have missed the point about employing someone, but never mind!

No, professional decorating is not 'a sideline to teaching', as you would know if you had paid more attention in the other thread where your ignorance about education generally and the English curriculum in particular was evident. :P

For the record (keep up, now!), I taught for 30 years. I re-trained as a decorator (so yes, I do know what I am talking about), and I have my own, successful, P & D business as a result. It was always something I wanted to do and by the time I started training I had a lot of experience (renovating three houses from scratch, doing decorating for wedding presents, designing and creating children's themed bedrooms, etc). I didn't intend to stay in teaching thirty years, but when my children were young I couldn't afford to come out for a couple of years to re-train. Plus, I discovered I really liked teaching as well. So I put my heart and soul into teaching, waited until my kids were older, then changed course.

I am also joint landlord of a large HMO for students, I manage a couple of rental properties for others and know a fair bit about landlord and tenant law. I know quite a lot about domestic plumbing too (sadly). More than I ever wanted to, in fact.

Hope that answers your questions :rolleyes:

Now if you don't mind, I have a cottage to renovate and a new extension to decorate for someone, so I had better go to work!

I simply did not want others with no experience of paint to think it was a good choice, as your endorsement of it seems to suggest. And you have missed the point about employing someone, but never mind!

No, professional decorating is not 'a sideline to teaching', as you would know if you had paid more attention in the other thread where your ignorance about education generally and the English curriculum in particular was evident. :P

For the record (keep up, now!), I taught for 30 years. I re-trained as a decorator (so yes, I do know what I am talking about), and I have my own, successful, P & D business as a result. It was always something I wanted to do and by the time I started training I had a lot of experience (renovating three houses from scratch, doing decorating for wedding presents, designing and creating children's themed bedrooms, etc). I didn't intend to stay in teaching thirty years, but when my children were young I couldn't afford to come out for a couple of years to re-train. Plus, I discovered I really liked teaching as well. So I waited until my kids were older, then changed course.

I am also joint landlord of a large HMO for students, I manage a couple of rental properties for others and know a fair bit about landlord and tenant law.

Do you also play the trumpet?I don't think you can blame people about ignorance about the English curriculum-English teachers have been discovered teaching the wrong texts,and many are somewhat challenged when applying the rules of grammar.

For the record (keep up, now!), I taught for 30 years. I re-trained as a decorator (so yes, I do know what I am talking about), and I have my own, successful, P & D business as a result. It was always something I wanted to do and by the time I started training I had a lot of experience (renovating three houses from scratch, doing decorating for wedding presents, designing and creating children's themed bedrooms, etc). I didn't intend to stay in teaching thirty years, but when my children were young I couldn't afford to come out for a couple of years to re-train. Plus, I discovered I really liked teaching as well. So I put my heart and soul into teaching, waited until my kids were older, then changed course.

I am also joint landlord of a large HMO for students, I manage a couple of rental properties for others and know a fair bit about landlord and tenant law. I know quite a lot about domestic plumbing too (sadly). More than I ever wanted to, in fact.

Now if you don't mind, I have a cottage to renovate and a new extension to decorate for someone, so I had better go to work!

So basically you have never used emulsion in the way I described, so you have no experience to draw on when claiming its barmy.

Do you also play the trumpet?
No, just the piano. Why?

I don't think you can blame people about ignorance about the English curriculum-English teachers have been discovered teaching the wrong texts,and many are somewhat challenged when applying the rules of grammar.

First, I wasn't 'blaming people.' I was talking about your ignorance. Blame didn't come into it.

---------- Post added 11-10-2013 at 23:27 ----------

So basically you have never used emulsion in the way I described, so you have no experience to draw on when claiming its barmy.

What bizarre logic. I haven't used emulsion paint as a face-mask, in coq-au-vin or as a cure for dandruff either, but I can make an educated prediction as to the result if I did. The reason I haven't used emulsion in the way you describe is because I know enough about paint to know that it is a daft idea. There are far better products available which will look and behave better when used on woodwork, whether inside or outside.

You remind me of Mr Bean.:)

No, just the piano. Why?

I mentioned the trumpet as you seem to be blowing yours loudly and clearly;I thought an English teacher would detect a metaphor.Whats up with my grammar,miss?

First, I wasn't 'blaming people.' I was talking about your ignorance. Blame didn't come into it.

---------- Post added 11-10-2013 at 23:27 ----------

What bizarre logic. I haven't used emulsion paint as a face-mask, in coq-au-vin or as a cure for dandruff either, but I can make an educated prediction as to the result if I did. The reason I haven't used emulsion in the way you describe is because I know enough about paint to know that it is a daft idea. There are far better products available which will look and behave better when used on woodwork, whether inside or outside.

Have you painted his pod?Other replies above.

Your logic is very bizarre, if someone used emulsion as a face mask and it made them look 10 years younger and cured their acne, with out any side effects, you wouldn't really be in no position to say they are wrong or that it is a daft idea.

If its such a daft idea why does it work?

I haven't found anything that does a better job, it is easy to apply, stay white and is easy to clean. Paint is harder to apply, smells, takes ages to dry, doesn't stay white and is a harder to clean off carpets if you spill some.

Your education is working against you, you have been taught to only believe what it says on the tin, many things created for one job turn out to be suitable for other jobs.

If its such a daft idea why does it work?

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'work'.

I haven't found anything that does a better job, it is easy to apply, stay white and is easy to clean.
Er...gloss, satin or eggshell paint, for a start. Oilbased for outdoors, acrylic water-based for outdoors or indoors.

Paint is harder to apply, smells, takes ages to dry, doesn't stay white and is a harder to clean off carpets if you spill some.
Emulsion is paint. The features you mention are all associated with oilbased paints - but there are equally effective water based ones these days (see my recommendations above), which do not smell, dry quickly (1-2 hours), stay white and are easier to clean that your beloved emulsion. Finally, if you spill it on the carpet you are a sloppy decorator - protect all areas not to be painted before you begin. It's not brain surgery.,

Your education is working against you, you have been taught to only believe what it says on the tin, many things created for one job turn out to be suitable for other jobs.
With the greatest respect, you are talking nonsense.

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'work'.

Its works because it does what I want it to do, it covered the wood with the colour of choice and makes it easier to clean, on the play house it covered the wood in a verity of colours and made it waterproof, in the concrete pond it seals the concrete and stops it from being porous.

Emulsion is paint. The features you mention are all associated with oilbased paints - but there are equally effective water based ones these days (see my recommendations above), which do not smell, dry quickly (1-2 hours), stay white and are easier to clean that your beloved emulsion. Finally, if you spill it on the carpet you are a sloppy decorator - protect all areas not to be painted before you begin. It's not brain surgery.,

I know and the water based paints do the same job as emulsion, but cost more.

With the greatest respect, you are talking nonsense.

You have no idea what respect is and something that works isn't nonsense.

I'm confused, you seem to use 3 words, but I'm not sure what you're trying to describe.

Paint

Paint is harder to apply,

Emulsion

water based paints do the same job as emulsion

and from that quote

Water based paints

Paint describes all of these things though, it's not a specific type itself... And for that matter emulsion also describes all of these things, whether oil or water based, a paint is an emulsion, although perhaps that isn't the common parlance...

To go back to the point, a regular internal water based emulsion will remain water soluble in the future. If you use it outside it will wash away in the rain.

Archived