Would you ask a colleague what they earn?

Ladies, would you ask your male colleagues what they earn?

Equalities Minister Jo Swinson wants us to do just that, saying it will help eradicate unequal pay.

Men at the moment, in spite of equal pay legislation, still earn 10% more for doing the same job, (and it's even more for jobs of equal parity,) we just don't know about it 'cos nobody dares to ask!

So what do you think girls, are you going to ask. For the sisterhood?

Personally, I don't think so...

Discussing your annual renumeration is a disciplinary offence where I work so if anyone asks me they'll get a short answer !!!

Companies often write such things into their rules. This particular one can't be enforced though, the company has no right or ability to stop you telling someone else private information about yourself.

It's an attempt to stifle discussion and stop comparison that might result in them having to pay people more (fairly you might argue).

It's not the done thing in my line of work. But it's a very small profession. So everybody knows, rarely factually, but with a very reasonable degree of certainty, what males and females are 'on' according to their location and seniority.

Our Chartered Institute also publishes an annual salary survey these days, with plenty of stats about pay/packages, gender make-up of the profession (ever-more females...a good thing IMHO :D), all acc. to geographic location with age info, etc. Pretty comprehensive, without being too specific as to let out the family secrets ;)

Given any level, it's pretty much at parity between males and females already. At least in the UK.

The differentials occur when your are qualified or not yet, then made partner or not (and whether that's an equity or salaried partnership). Meritocratic, basically.

My previous boss, who was a (older, equity) female partner, was on wayyy more than the (younger, salaried) male partners, for more or less the same job and responsibilities (but a larger personal liability).

Both trainees we have taken on this year (1 male/1 female) are on the exact same package, no difference whatsoever. I oversee the firm's remuneration levels and packages, as it happens, and can guarantee that gender does not come into it howsoever.

Companies often write such things into their rules. This particular one can't be enforced though, the company has no right or ability to stop you telling someone else private information about yourself.

It's an attempt to stifle discussion and stop comparison that might result in them having to pay people more (fairly you might argue).

Maybe in the 'ideal world' but in the real world I personally know of two people who were sacked for this breach of their employment conditions.

Maybe in the 'ideal world' but in the real world I personally know of two people who were sacked for this breach of their employment conditions.
Was that in the UK? And were the sackings brought before an employment tribunal? Sounds like the employer(s) were ripe for the taking, procedurally speaking.

I think you're right a few years ago a department of the DWP, was taken over by an American company. They were told in no uncertain terms that discussing salaries with other colleagues, or tying to compare was punishable by dismissal.

They should have gone to tribunal, they'd have won.

Fortunately the real world includes tribunals who won't accept arbitrary rules like that as a reason to sack someone in the UK.

Archived