Would you ask a colleague what they earn?

They should have gone to tribunal, they'd have won.

Fortunately the real world includes tribunals who won't accept arbitrary rules like that as a reason to sack someone in the UK.

Well one of the employees DID go to a tribunal and lost. After that, the other one didn't bother.

Employment law obviously isn't as cut and dried as people seem to think.

why would u want to discuss YOUR wages with other employees?? if u know u are doing your job well and think u get paid enough for it, then what does it matter what someone else earns? either your not happy, or your not as good at your job as u think u are? discuss it with your boss, not anyone else.

Our salary scales are open to anyone to look at. Pay is based on years served and responsibility. I know exactly how much 99% of my colleagues earn.

It's funny this 'same job' thing though. I know people on the same band as me who certainly seem to think they are doing a similar job, but they're not. Supposedly my employer bases banding on similar responsibilities in the job description. However in reality certain roles come with a 9-5 and others come with an expectation to work much harder. These things are not always reflected accurately.

No, I don't ask what other people earn. What I dislike are vulgar people who try and make a public show of their wealth by basically tapping a stranger on the shoulder and bragging e.g. Both the Harry Enfield characters, Loadsamoney and the "I am considerably more wealthy than you," character. Unfortunately there are far too many people like that in real life.

No, I don't ask what other people earn. What I dislike are vulgar people who try and make a public show of their wealth by basically tapping a stranger on the shoulder and bragging e.g. Both the Harry Enfield characters, Loadsamoney and the "I am considerably more wealthy than you," character. Unfortunately there are far too many people like that in real life.

you missed the point completely, its about equal pay, not how much more some earn!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Really? I've never met a stranger, or anyone come to think of it, who's ever done that to me...

Really? I've never met a stranger, or anyone come to think of it, who's ever done that to me...

i met a group of americans in greece a few years ago who spent a fair bit of time talking about what they were paid for their jobs, what they earned as self employed and asking others similar questions - they weren't bragging or jealous they were just interested

i don't usually like sweeping generalisations, but my experience is that americans tend to be much more open and less self conscious about money and wealth

Archived