Would you ask a colleague what they earn?

Our salary scales are open to anyone to look at. Pay is based on years served and responsibility. I know exactly how much 99% of my colleagues earn.

It's funny this 'same job' thing though. I know people on the same band as me who certainly seem to think they are doing a similar job, but they're not. Supposedly my employer bases banding on similar responsibilities in the job description. However in reality certain roles come with a 9-5 and others come with an expectation to work much harder. These things are not always reflected accurately.

At least your scales are open. Its nice to see things like that.

I don't understand why on earth discussing would make pay more equal-the company has the actual statistics and the government also have those statistics so they know whether men and women are paid the same.

The government doesn't have statistics with the level of detail to know if women are paid the same as men for doing the same job.

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 15:14 ----------

For years, everywhere I've worked has had a strict 'don't ask/don't tell' policy with regards to employee pay, punishable by disciplinary action. I'm all for equal pay, but I'm not about to take a written warning for the cause, thanks.

Like I already said, such a clause is unenforceable in the UK.

The government doesn't have statistics with the level of detail to know if women are paid the same as men for doing the same job.

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 15:14 ----------

Like I already said, such a clause is unenforceable in the UK.

It is enforceable providing conversations are not linked to pay discrimination issues.

The law does not ban secrecy clauses and if you are an employer you are able to prohibit your employees from disclosing their pay, or seeking information about a colleague’s pay, as long as their discussions do not relate to possible pay discrimination. For example, if employees are just boasting about their pay increases, or complaining about disappointing pay increases, and are in breach of a pay secrecy clause you will still be able to enforce it against them.

However, where such disclosure is made or sought in the context of equal pay discussions, or the investigation of possible discrimination in pay, you cannot enforce the secrecy clause and must not treat the employees involved badly or they can claim victimisation. As now, you will also not be able to prevent such disclosure to an employee’s solicitor or other legal representative, or to the Employment Tribunal.

It is enforceable providing conversations are not linked to pay discrimination issues.

The law does not ban secrecy clauses and if you are an employer you are able to prohibit your employees from disclosing their pay, or seeking information about a colleague’s pay, as long as their discussions do not relate to possible pay discrimination. For example, if employees are just boasting about their pay increases, or complaining about disappointing pay increases, and are in breach of a pay secrecy clause you will still be able to enforce it against them.

However, where such disclosure is made or sought in the context of equal pay discussions, or the investigation of possible discrimination in pay, you cannot enforce the secrecy clause and must not treat the employees involved badly or they can claim victimisation. As now, you will also not be able to prevent such disclosure to an employee’s solicitor or other legal representative, or to the Employment Tribunal.

I'd like to see an employee try to prove that a discussion about pay was not linked somehow to pay discrimination issues.

A relevant pay disclosure is one that is made (or sought) for the purpose of finding out whether or to what extent there is unlawful pay discrimination. It is not limited to discrimination on grounds of sex.

I'd like to see an employee try to prove that a discussion about pay was not linked somehow to pay discrimination issues.

I've already told you that a member of staff where I work was sacked for discussing salary and this was upheld at a tribunal so obviously it can be proved.

Archived