Can anyone else remember going Christmas carolling?

glen

Can anyone remember going round christmas caroling?a few of us used to get our tins with a slit in the top to put our sixpences in.we would sing our carols then knock on the door,sometimes they would invite us in for a mince pie and a drink and give us our sixpence on the way out.It was an honest way to get a bit of pocket money.we used to nearly freeze to death but i still hold those memories dear.Some of us used to paint our faces black so we could poke their fire for good luck.:partyhat:

I love the idea of Christmas caroling, but unfortunately we only tend to get the odd couple of kids singing a very off-key version of 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas'.

I remember there used to be carol singing events in Sheffield town centre; I think it used to be when the lights were switched on. I remember they used to pass around song sheets, so everyone could sing along! This wasn't too long ago either; probably late 70s.

And I have a vague recollection of going door to door with some friends with our recorders, playing Christmas carols. We were probably given 10p or so to stop playing! I do so love the sound of recorders played by seven year olds...

• 2 weeks later...

hi She She .We are talking about our Memories of Chritmas carols,Some of our old memories we think of often,not just at Christmas time,I have been away from the uk for a long time and just found the forum and find myself re living a lot of old memories so go off and enjoy your holidays,remember your good times as we never had a holday when we were kids.:rant:

• 5 months later...
Can anyone remember going round christmas caroling?a few of us used to get our tins with a slit in the top to put our sixpences in.we would sing our carols then knock on the door,sometimes they would invite us in for a mince pie and a drink and give us our sixpence on the way out.It was an honest way to get a bit of pocket money.we used to nearly freeze to death but i still hold those memories dear.Some of us used to paint our faces black so we could poke their fire for good luck.:partyhat:

Yes, I've got some very fond memories of this too and we have actually had some good Christmas carolers in the last couple of years. Won't be long now before they're coming around for this xmas now!:partyhat:

Archived