"What3words"- novel geographic website

27 minutes ago, muddywolf said:

Why are some people arguing over its usefulness? 

The emergency services has said it has saved lives, it is a free app, and yet some people cant grasp the benefit of it.

I felt a similar way to you in my post No23.

Regardless of how great the potential of an idea there will always be plenty of negativity, at least on here anyway.

14 hours ago, muddywolf said:

Why are some people arguing over its usefulness? 

The emergency services has said it has saved lives, it is a free app, and yet some people cant grasp the benefit of it.

Because this is Sheffield Forum.  If they don't understand or or don't agree with it then it's wrong, simple as.

I tend to think that how we are feeling can often reflect what we contribute.

I don't know if certain posters are always negative. Or as mentioned, they are negative only when they don't  agree or underdstand.

I don't mind being told I have got something wrong as happens occasionally , but it is  invariably  accompanied by abruptness or nastiness.

There is still too much "attacking the poster".

Edited by Janus

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/08/2019 at 20:36, Longcol said:

Not 100% convinced of that seeing as police / emergency services often use the phonetic alphabet to ensure clear transcription of words but no equivalent needed for 0-9.

It's not that no equivalent is needed for 0-9, just that there isn't an equivalent. It's very common for numbers to be misheard, happens all the time when trying to communicate phone numbers over the phone.

On 03/09/2019 at 10:05, onewheeldave said:

It's not that no equivalent is needed for 0-9, just that there isn't an equivalent. It's very common for numbers to be misheard, happens all the time when trying to communicate phone numbers over the phone.

Yes, saying 'o' or 'naught' is often mistaken for '4'.   Although I don't like americanisms, for this reason I use 'zero'.