Parents, please read with your children.

Could I ask all parents of Primary age children to read with their children for 15 - 30 minutes every day.

Britain is falling further down International league tables for reading and writing, so this would really help.

This daily one to one practise is vital in helping kids read fluently, and a little chat and a few questions will show whether they have understood and taken in what they have read. (This is an important part of school reading tests these days.)

I know parents are busy, especially working ones, and this can seem a bit of a chore, and get lost in all the other things busy parents have to do, but this really can make all the difference. Teachers will be happy to help sort any problems.

Confident readers will be able to succeed in school /life, whereas those left behind will struggle.

Could I ask all parents of Primary age children to read with their children for 15 - 30 minutes every day.

Britain is falling further down International league tables for reading and writing, so this would really help.

This daily one to one practise is vital in helping kids read fluently, and a little chat and a few questions will show whether they have understood and taken in what they have read. (This is an important part of school reading tests these days.)

I know parents are busy, especially working ones, and this can seem a bit of a chore, and get lost in all the other things busy parents have to do, but this really can make all the difference. Teachers will be happy to help sort any problems.

Confident readers will be able to succeed in school /life, whereas those left behind will struggle.

Well said, I could not agree more I used to read to & with all 3 of our kids, and when I was off work with ruptured knee volunteered to go to their school to help kids read.

Read with my 3 every day. Get the basics right (reading And writing) and everything will follow!

Too true fella, I said to the son in law a few months ago talking about 6 year old grandson, I said does he get taught the 3 R's. He said what the hell are they, I said Reading, Writing & Arithmetic he's 27 & never heard of them I thought that was so sad.

I grew up in a time when we would have spelling tests, maths tests, go round class reciting times tables and reading, such as Janet & John. Oh and we were taught in classes of 40 or so, sometimes bigger, today's teaching curriculum leaves a lot to be desired.

Well, it is all the better for not having Janet and John in it.

And although I would love to see more parents reading to and with their kids, it wouldn't be anything to do with improving Britain's performance in international league tables....it would be because it's one of the best ways of bonding, encouraging good speech development and interaction, giving individual, high-quality attention, cuddling up and showing physical affection and firing imaginations.

It makes 'em cleverer, an' all, but that's a side effect.

It's always been the highlight of my day. 19:30, on the nose, every day. Bedtime and reading together (besides any further reading she does of her own initiative).

Just attended parent's evening tonight...and I'm pleased (OK, maybe a bit proud too :D) to say it shows.

Nice positive thread Anna, makes a nice change from the somewhat more usual doom and gloom :)

i was a busy working parent but always read to my two kids at bedtime, as well as helping them read and understand text and context it was our special one to one time that i might not have always had time for during the day, sometimes we didnt read but just talked about things, school, friends etc, i miss those times with them......and i fell asleep on the bed with them more than once lol

I love reading with children and some of the very few photos taken of me in recent years have been taken with a child propped on each side of me in a big armchair, reading Harry and the Dinosaurs or Room on the Broom (my nephew likes that one with lots of different accents!).

I was a single parent with a full time job, but always managed to read to the baby Taxman. Now see his posts on the 'Rate the last book you read' thread. I also used to play cards with the toddler Taxman - he went to school able to count to ten - then Jack, Queen, King! One of his teachers in the infants class observed that 'someone must spend a lot of time talking to him' as his vocabulary was pretty wide.

I'd like to echo what Anna said. I'm an avid reader, pleased to say all three of my grandchildren have been encouraged to look at books/been read to from a very young age. They enjoy visits to the library, and the oldest, who is six, would read for hours if allowed.

Archived