Today's children are less literate than their grandparents

Don't really see what that has to do with my comment. However, I began teaching over 30 years ago and throughout that period people have argued that standards are falling. The government would argue that more students are passing GCSE's although to me the O- Levels were more difficult so I don't see how a comparison can be made using results. My opinion is that there has been a drop in the basic standards of literacy and numeracy due in a large way to technology.

I think technology is a factor. Do you think targets are at least as big a factor? You'll know this better than me, but are teaching methods now being tilted more towards passing tests than a broader understanding of subjects? Not having a pop btw, just interested.

I think technology is a factor. Do you think targets are at least as big a factor? You'll know this better than me, but are teaching methods now being tilted more towards passing tests than a broader understanding of subjects? Not having a pop btw, just interested.

Yes and yes. This has been a bugbear of mine for a long time.

This sort of confirms what the likes of the cbi have been saying - they have the qualifications but not neccessarily the knowledge of some pretty simple stuff.

However, if you take targets away, how do parents easily compare school A with school B.

This sort of confirms what the likes of the cbi have been saying - they have the qualifications but not neccessarily the knowledge of some pretty simple stuff.

However, if you take targets away, how do parents easily compare school A with school B.

Schools have different types of catchment ares - the actual value added from when they start to when they leave is a better reflection of the impact of the school.

It's irrelevant 'cos there's very little choice anyway...

That depends. Whilst I won't go as far as to say people will move purely for the sake of the catchment area of a good school it's not unreasonable to suggest if they are moving, catchment areas will be a major factor. And if they want to send Chardonnay and Tarquin to a public school the choice expands further.

That's a relief. I'm glad they have the time to carefully put together these wind-up emails and spread the joke to their colleagues around the country to keep me guessing, all at my expense. I have to keep them too as they confirm bookings. Maybe they'll all own up when I retire - a bit like This is your Life. I thought they were overworked.

Panic over, everything's fine.

The teachers bearly have time to scratch,and if they appear to paws they will be in trouble,then the fur will fly,honey.

---------- Post added 09-10-2013 at 12:20 ----------

Many teachers seem to have bearbugs these days;schools are like zoos for learning.

But I think the general public like targets. When choosing waynetta's school they can just flick through a few league tables and bobs your uncle, school is chosen. It's even mentioned now (don't know how long its gone on) mentioned in housing particulars in estate agent ads. Boils down to the whole "choice" thing. If you want people to choose between two things there should be something measurable (and easy) to help them choose. Targets, well the results, do that.

It also shows what ever the government of the time is doing is "working".

You are right that parents want information on which to base decision like which school to send their kids to - there is no getting awway from it. But targets and league tables are driving the wrong behaviour and shift the focus from attaining the best outcome for the children and onto attaining the best result for the school.

That is why studies, like the one that prompted the discussion, are so important because they actually measure outcomes. If more kids are now leaving school as young adults with worse reading, writing and arithmetic abilities then it means the outcomes are getting worse and we are failing the kids who need the most help in preparing for adult life.

The study shows us that what governments have been doing (interferring) is not working. It also tells us that the way in which they report performance is also misleading because those stats say standards have improved. The politicians have been playing politics with the education system and damaged it in the process.

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

The teachers bearly have time to scratch,and if they appear to paws they will be in trouble,then the fur will fly,honey.

---------- Post added 09-10-2013 at 12:20 ----------

Many teachers seem to have bearbugs these days;schools are like zoos for learning.

That's hilarious ! Have a gold star and a hundred house points.

But I do agree there's a difference between people spelling the word, "People" as in, "Peoplr," with is a typo and something like, "Peepull," which I've seen kids do before.

Language and spelling has always changed over time, its nothing new.

Archived