M62 cameras are working when you think otherwise.

Merely a heads-up for motorists on here using the M62 - there's no intention on my part to light the touch-paper and stand back but, no doubt, a few will be ready to walk sheep-like into a bleat-fest.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/highways-chiefs-reveal-m62-cameras-6152759#.UlRy63GREfU.email

Someone in West Yorks has not read Hansard (a Minister/Sec of State said this would not happen) - oh well ... Off to get my flak helmet.

Ah, that explains things then. When going south on the M1 I've noticed the variable speed limit there. It hasn't been 'active', yet even though I've been doing around 70 mph - some vehicles have shot past me at what looks like 80 or 90. This is even under the gantries that actually have a camera an them. Now I know - that said, I rarely 'fly' down the motorway now anyhow as I like to balance speed against the price of diesel.

Merely a heads-up for motorists on here using the M62 - there's no intention on my part to light the touch-paper and stand back but, no doubt, a few will be ready to walk sheep-like into a bleat-fest.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/highways-chiefs-reveal-m62-cameras-6152759#.UlRy63GREfU.email

Someone in West Yorks has not read Hansard (a Minister/Sec of State said this would not happen) - oh well ... Off to get my flak helmet.

I'd always assumed that cameras were operating all the time. The little camera signs are permanent, and dont disappear then the gantry speed limit signs go off.

Mr Loophole might be right that he'd win. However, he would say that wouldn't he, and he is trying to drum up business.

Does it actually matter what is recorded in Hansard? Surely whatever the law actually says will be whatever is passed into law, not what somebody says in Parliament.

---------- Post added 09-10-2013 at 09:52 ----------

I thought that the gantries were fitted with average speed cameras. These don't flash, do they? The original article says the story started following a motorist "being flashed". I don't understand.

I'd always assumed that cameras were operating all the time.

Ditto, I see no reason why they wouldn't be.

There's a metal sign on the gantry indicating that there's a speed camera.

If the signs aren't showing a lower speed it should be assumed that they'd be triggered by cars going speeds beyond 70mph.

Unless I am mistaken, permanent speed cameras must be painted day-glow yellow by law.

Speed averaging cameras are also painted yellow and,

when not live, a sign is always used to indicate that "cameras are not in use".

when live, a sign is always used to indicate "speed averaging cameras" with a prominent <speed limit> sign next, or close, to it.

The cameras in question are not yellow, and may therefore amount to a conventional (pre-day glow yellow) speed trap, which has not been legal for some time. Warning signs or not.

I was mistaken. Oh well.

I thought that the gantries were fitted with average speed cameras. These don't flash, do they? The original article says the story started following a motorist "being flashed". I don't understand.

looking at the ones on the new gantries they look like Gatsos, which do flash, SPECS which are the ave. speed ones are a lot smaller.. they're the ones on the current roadworks on the M1..

So are you guys okay with the secretary for state lying about it then?

I've not seen a link proving that.

The key bits which stick out in that news story are:

Previously it had been thought motorists would only be automatically fined if they broke speed limits when the digital signs were on.

and

ABD spokesman, Brian McDowall, said it had been their understanding that the signs had to be illuminated for motorists to be caught speeding

Sounds to me like they didn't check their facts and just assumed.

---------- Post added 09-10-2013 at 11:03 ----------

thought that the gantries were fitted with average speed cameras. These don't flash, do they? The original article says the story started following a motorist "being flashed". I don't understand.

Average speed cameras are usually fitted in roadworks areas. These are standard "flashing" speed cameras with the markings on the road like you see everywhere else.

I wonder how the M62 compares to the M6, which has had these cameras for some years now.

looking at the ones on the new gantries they look like Gatsos, which do flash, SPECS which are the ave. speed ones are a lot smaller.. they're the ones on the current roadworks on the M1..

Thanks. I never know which are which. I have looked them up in the past, just out of general interest, but soon forget.

I try and stick to the limit, so I'm not really bothered what type they use - hence I quickly forget.

Archived