The Wagon and Horses (Wetherspoons) in Chapeltown

phil6028

Has anyone been on a weekend? Is it still the usual young crowd that used to frequent the waggon?

The weekend was busy throughout Chapeltown, it's a food pub serving meals till 11 pm with a full mixed age group frequenting the place.

we went for a meal about 6ish last night, found it very cold in the conservatory because the smoking area outside were through the doors where we were eating and were opened almost all of the time. The food was ok ish, Some of us were eating dessert while some hadn't even had there meal, there were 6 of us. The staff seemed to still be in training because they were even asking the customers to clear there own tables onto an empty table.

5 girls in comprehensive uniforms came in and sat behind us, I still had a pleasant evening but it was due to the company I was with x

• 1 month later...

Went here yesterday,am not a fan of Wetherspoons at the best of times, but my dad is and as it was a family outing, and a pub for the tick list we made a visit.. now the only benifit (for me) to this chain is early opening for days out, and cheap prices...

I arrived early with the meet due at 1pm, and as a real ale fan went for the doom bar ale.. £2.59 ! well i can pay that any where, then the food the menu seemed very expensive for a "spoons " pub anyway. The decor even though new is a mix mash of tables.. false marble to the right on entry, cheap wooden on the left. The most noticable dislike here is the parking !! there is non. If your not local, street parking is difficult and the local pay car park is £2 for 1-2 hr.

So bare in mind i am byas, i awaited the family verdict.

Dads a regular at Wetherspoons , although he did not note the beer prices he certainly noticed the menu prices.Feeling a bit cheesed off.. we made a move.

Just to show as an example how the price structure seems to have changed(from my few past visits to the chain),after a couple of drinks, we moved on to the DRAWBRIDGE and paid £2.45 a pint for Bombardier, then on to the Manor Barn paying £2.40 for a pint of Acorn.

Now to be fair to the place the menu states beer prices from £2.29 a pint, but unlike other branches of the chain, had no prices on the pumps or a price list visable.

The whole set up is unlike the usual uniformed structure expected from the chain.

ONE FOR THE TICK LIST BUT ONE NEVER TO BE REVISITED.

Had two visits to The Waggon & Horses, both at lunch times. The second visit on a Tuesday looked like a Kindergardten Outing.

Not my idea of a ideal Restaurant when kids are allowed to run riot. Can only hope my next vosit will be more of a pleasure, otherwise will go back to looking for other venues to enjoy Lunch

I've been at different times - I went with my friend as a guest for the pre-opening in the middle of the day - everything seemed ok although the steak was not cooked as requeated - but given it was a freebie we didn't want to complain. The second time i went was on a Friday evening - it was really busy but still managed to find a table and order food.

The only issue here was that after ordering - someone came up to my friend to state that they didn't have her veggie option left - so just as she was choosing another option, someone brought it out for her - leaving the woman who came to our table slightly gobsmacked to say the least. After we had eaten, there was nothing left to stay for as no music or atmosphetre so we went on our merry way round chap.

Then we went in for breakfast the morning after; staff were just stood at one end of the bar talking amongst themselves - there were no clean spoons whatsoever and the manager was simply rude.

Haven't been back since.

Archived