Dogs Are People, Too

Was on the bus the other day and felt quite sick - there was a foul smelling woman right behind me. Got on another one and yes, another odorous human being was next to me in the queue. Fortunately I obtained a seat well away from them. As for houses smelling of dogs I agree with Moonbird - it's easy not to go in, unlike buses where you have no choice. Actually there is no need for houses to smell of pets anyway if they, their bedding and the house is kept clean.

To answer the original post, dogs are not like humans and be thankful for it. They are infinitely better company.

Was on the bus the other day and felt quite sick - there was a foul smelling woman right behind me. Got on another one and yes, another odorous human being was next to me in the queue. Fortunately I obtained a seat well away from them. As for houses smelling of dogs I agree with Moonbird - it's easy not to go in, unlike buses where you have no choice. Actually there is no need for houses to smell of pets anyway if they, their bedding and the house is kept clean.

To answer the original post, dogs are not like humans and be thankful for it. They are infinitely better company.

How can a dog be better company than a human?

I wish someone would tell dog owners that their houses smell unpleasantly of dog. They seem totally immune to it.

Even worse is the way dogs assume, for some adults, the role of the child they never had/would like/had, but who has left home.

No, dogs are not human. They have their uses, but 'substitute human' should not be one of them.

You mean put out a press release or something...

All houses have a distinct, separate smell. This has little to do with your showering routine and cleaning products, and almost everything to do with your personal sweat. In addition to water and electrolytes, sweat also contains small amounts of waste products, like urea, and smellier things like mercaptans easily pass through the skin. So diet plays a huge role as well.

In addition to that a human sheds over 1 and a half pounds of skin every year. All that dust floating round your house that you see?..About 80% of that is your skin that you shed each day.

A typical used mattress can have 100,000 to 10 million mites inside, feeding on the 6 grams of dead skin you shed each week. Each mite produces 10-20 waste pellets per day, and each egg-laying female can produce 25-30 more mites every three weeks. Cold comfort that a mite only lives about three months.

Of course deodorants, perfumes etc help mask the smell but every house will smell different.

A dog’s sense of smell is about 1,000 to 10,000,000 times more sensitive than a human’s (depending on the breed). A human has about 5 million scent glands, compared to a dog, who has anywhere from 125 million to 300 million (depending on the breed). So if the house smells bad to you think about the poor dog!!.

You mean put out a press release or something...

All houses have a distinct, separate smell. This has little to do with your showering routine and cleaning products, and almost everything to do with your personal sweat. In addition to water and electrolytes, sweat also contains small amounts of waste products, like urea, and smellier things like mercaptans easily pass through the skin. So diet plays a huge role as well.

In addition to that a human sheds over 1 and a half pounds of skin every year. All that dust floating round your house that you see?..About 80% of that is your skin that you shed each day.

A typical used mattress can have 100,000 to 10 million mites inside, feeding on the 6 grams of dead skin you shed each week. Each mite produces 10-20 waste pellets per day, and each egg-laying female can produce 25-30 more mites every three weeks. Cold comfort that a mite only lives about three months.

Of course deodorants, perfumes etc help mask the smell but every house will smell different.

A dog’s sense of smell is about 1,000 to 10,000,000 times more sensitive than a human’s (depending on the breed). A human has about 5 million scent glands, compared to a dog, who has anywhere from 125 million to 300 million (depending on the breed). So if the house smells bad to you think about the poor dog!!.

So basically,it's cruel to keep a dog in your home....Tut tut..

Why would you struggle to believe that it's entirely possible for a person to have a stronger bond with a dog over that of a human?

Anyone who has never had a dog could not understand.

Hachikō

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D

In 1924, Hidesaburō Ueno, a professor in the agriculture department at the University of Tokyo, took in Hachikō, a golden brown Akita, as a pet. During his owner's life, Hachikō greeted him at the end of each day at the nearby Shibuya Station. The pair continued their daily routine until May 1925, when Professor Ueno did not return. The professor had suffered from a cerebral hemorrhage and died, never returning to the train station where Hachikō was waiting. Each day for the next nine years Hachikō awaited Ueno's return, appearing precisely when the train was due at the station.

Archived