Dogs Are People, Too

Why would you struggle to believe that it's entirely possible for a person to have a stronger bond with a dog over that of a human?

If a person has no family.or is confined to their home,then I guess having a dog/pets has it's benefits.

Or maybe a blind person who puts all his faith and trust in a dog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLASGOWOODS

How can a dog be better company than a human?

By engaging in stimulating conversations.

That's the point - with a dog you don't have to. Those of us who have spent our entire working life pandering to the needs and whims of human beings are often heartily glad to be shot of 'em (family and good friends excluded).

And yes, people who have never had a dog would not understand.

If a person has no family.or is confined to their home,then I guess having a dog/pets has it's benefits.

Well there you go, you've answered your own question with two valid reasons :)

For myself I like their company without necessarily showing a preference. The big plus for me is that there are no questions, they enjoy to be with me for nothing in return other than food and shelter.

You mean put out a press release or something...

All houses have a distinct, separate smell. This has little to do with your showering routine and cleaning products, and almost everything to do with your personal sweat. In addition to water and electrolytes, sweat also contains small amounts of waste products, like urea, and smellier things like mercaptans easily pass through the skin. So diet plays a huge role as well.

In addition to that a human sheds over 1 and a half pounds of skin every year. All that dust floating round your house that you see?..About 80% of that is your skin that you shed each day.

A typical used mattress can have 100,000 to 10 million mites inside, feeding on the 6 grams of dead skin you shed each week. Each mite produces 10-20 waste pellets per day, and each egg-laying female can produce 25-30 more mites every three weeks. Cold comfort that a mite only lives about three months.

Of course deodorants, perfumes etc help mask the smell but every house will smell different.

A dog’s sense of smell is about 1,000 to 10,000,000 times more sensitive than a human’s (depending on the breed). A human has about 5 million scent glands, compared to a dog, who has anywhere from 125 million to 300 million (depending on the breed). So if the house smells bad to you think about the poor dog!!.

Blimey, be careful you will have all of the precious luvi's running to the Dr for counseling...actually after reading all that I might join em :hihi:

Because not everyone likes the smell of dogs.

They're free to not go to that house then presumably.

---------- Post added 11-10-2013 at 13:20 ----------

I'm sighted, have family and friends and fully mobile. But my parents dog is better company than some people. Not all mind, and not all the time, just some people, some of the time. Is that really so surprising?

I love my little pooch, and yes she is one of the family, but she's no human. And i really hate seeing owners treating them as such too.

I'm always wondering, what do people mean when they say 'don't treat a dog like a child'?

Now I'm not one to use stupid terms like 'fur baby', or dress my dog up or anything stupid like that (I hate that sort of thing, and nor would I dress a baby up in silly bunny ears costumes or those nasty flower headband things etc).

BUT I do treat her with love, affection and give her firm but fair rules. I'd imagine if I had children I'd treat them in a rather similar fashion.... so what's the deal?

Frankly I don't care what studies show, I love my dog and she brings me huge enjoyment every day, and that's all that matters. And if my house smells, well, if I can't smell it then I don't care!

Archived