The US military Guide, when attending Britain in WWII

That's great. I'm going to pass that on to my eldest who has a keen interest in WWII history, thanks. I learned something - I didn't know that some of the parks were used as allotments to grow food.

My favourite bit:

The British don't know how to make a good cup of coffee. You don't know how to make a good cup of tea. It's an even swap.

:hihi:

I dont think very many Americans drank tea back then.

These days it's hard to screw up a brew of Colombian in a coffee percolator just as it's hard top screw up an Earl Grey or Lipton tea bag in a cup of hot water

I enjoyed reading that US military Guide. It reminded me of some stories I've heard of that time they came. Some of the Americans or "yanks" as they were referred to were based somewhere around Chapeltown.

It appears some of them didn't always behave themselves when they were there though. Maybe that's why they were often described as "overpaid oversexed and over here".:hihi:

Really fascinating, and in fact it would make interesting reading for the younger generations who have no idea what living through those times was like.

It doesn't really tell you much about what living through those times was really like though.

Perhaps one of the best primary sources for that would be Mass Observation, which was well underway by the time WWII broke out.

England's largest river, the Thames (pronounced "Terns")

huh? By who?

See a couple of posts above, when using OCR to scan documents "m" can some times be seen as "rn" by the software... it's a simple mistake :)