Monkey Rack on Stubbin Lane

leso1

YES it existed in the early 1930s My late mother referred to it and the happy memories of walking from the park up Stubbin Lane, young men a few paces behind them,and then back to a drinks shop at the end of the Stubbin Lane shopping parade (cannot recall the name though it was still there in the 1940s, 1950s).There they had soft drinks and someone played the piano for a singsong.I've heard the term used in other UK towns and the same custom was prevalent in Spanish towns till recently.We have lost some innocence but I'm not sure young people are any happier

YES it existed in the early 1930s My late mother referred to it and the happy memories of walking from the park up Stubbin Lane, young men a few paces behind them,and then back to a drinks shop at the end of the Stubbin Lane shopping parade (cannot recall the name though it was still there in the 1940s, 1950s).There they had soft drinks and someone played the piano for a singsong.I've heard the term used in other UK towns and the same custom was prevalent in Spanish towns till recently.We have lost some innocence but I'm not sure young people are any happier

It was called the " Mikado Drink Shop " in the 1950's .

I recall my mother telling me she met my father on the monkey rack in Hillsborough. This would have been around 1912.

I believe it was the area in any district where young people gathered to walk and hopefully meet someone they liked.

Hi Mags

So it goes back even further than we thought. During my research for the one on Stubbin Lane I have heard about the one at Hillsborough plus one in Endcliffe Park and one on Ecclesall Road. Roy walker has mentioned ones in Spain and I have heard of one in Naples. I'm now curious to know where the name comes from. Many thanks to Barb for naming the cafe on Stubbin Lane.

Hi Mags

So it goes back even further than we thought. During my research for the one on Stubbin Lane I have heard about the one at Hillsborough plus one in Endcliffe Park and one on Ecclesall Road. Roy walker has mentioned ones in Spain and I have heard of one in Naples. I'm now curious to know where the name comes from. Many thanks to Barb for naming the cafe on Stubbin Lane.

My mother who was born in 1921 & lived in Woodseats in the '30's / early '40's also mentioned the Monkey Rack where young people met sweathearts, I think this one was on Bocking Lane , Sheffield if I remember right. She met my father there.

Hi Barb

That would make sense if she lived at Woodseats. It seems they were all over the place. Someone must know why it was called Monkey Rack. Coincidentally my mother was also born in 1921 and living in Longley she used the one on Stubbin Lane.

I have just " Googled " the words Monkey rack & am non the wiser, the nearest was a website in Ilkley with the same explanation as what we have , a site where young people met others for friendship......

If anyone finds anything else out about it , please post it on here & put us out of our misery !!

Archived