Is morality an absolute?

Thank you Obelix.

Also, do you think the concept of morality is used as a mechanism to guilt-trip other people in to behaving in the way we would like them to behave?

I think you could argue that, yes. Burglary is considered immoral and consequently we treat it as a crime and jail people who do it.

Personally, I think it can be used as such. However, I think there may be more to it. For example, I have a strong sense that it's not cool to kill or harm other people. Why is that?

Even so, I eat animal meat, but then, I kind of like my dog (but not for dinner).

Personally, I think it can be used as such. However, I think there may be more to it. For example, I have a strong sense that it's not cool to kill or harm other people. Why is that?

Even so, I eat animal meat, but then, I kind of like my dog (but not for dinner).

Because over thousands of years, humankind has developed a sense of morality based on all sorts of influences, philosophies and religious beliefs and it's led to the almost universal sense that you describe.

Some morals could be considered to be evolved behaviour - a society where the grandparents dote on the children is going to be more successful at raising them to adulthood than one that doesn't. Same for cannibalism, although that also has the issue that it introduces disease (google Kuru for example).

But then again you look at Ancient Greece which was considered to be a highly civilised and progressive society. One in which prominent men would take young boys under their wing for a spot of pederasty for a year or so so that they could become more suited to society. With the full and eager consent of the parents and the children themselves apparantly... The Romans used to get up to a bit of that sort of thing as well.

I think this enquiry stemmed from the recent thread on homosexuality (post 630)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1082911

The correct moral view in that context, is that intolerance is wrong, not homosexuality. That's my opinion anyway.

Thank you Mister M.

It did stem from that thread, however, it (morality) is something I've been thinking about for a few days now (was listening to the Moral Maze on R4 on Wednesday). Hope we can keep the debate more focused in morality in general on this thread, and, within the context of sexuality and tolerance, on the other thread?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed the other thread was closed, hopefully they'll reopen it, so Cyclone and others have the opportunity to respond.

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 20:02 ----------

Because over thousands of years, humankind has developed a sense of morality based on all sorts of influences, philosophies and religious beliefs and it's led to the almost universal sense that you describe.

Sure, but to me, that suggests social norms such as 'do not kill people' only exist within the context of a given culture. Other cultures may not share such norms, for example, Vikings whose culture was to rape and pillage other people's across the sea (not sure how historically accurate that is, but you get the idea).

Also, with regards to stealing, what about Cuckoos? Are they immoral birds? Is morality even applicable to animals?

But then again you look at Ancient Greece which was considered to be a highly civilised and progressive society. One in which prominent men would take young boys under their wing for a spot of pederasty for a year or so so that they could become more suited to society. With the full and eager consent of the parents and the children themselves apparantly... The Romans used to get up to a bit of that sort of thing as well.

The Ancient Greeks also kept slaves.

There is an interesting discussion about Moral Blame that can be listened to from this page - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b038c7bq

Archived