Jimmy childs demolition

My father by trade was a steeplejack who worked for Harrisons which was near the old Jessops hospital he left them to go and be a demolition forman for Jimmy Childs he had only been with Childs 6 months when he got killed at work he was working at the old Glasshouton colliery Castleford the mobile crane driver overloaded his load and the crane toppled over trapping my dad underneath he was in a coma for 3 days but died in Pinderfields Hospital Jimmy Childs company was found guilty of negligence and my mom was awarded compensation this was in the very early 60s my dads name was also JACK HEWITT RIP POPS.

My father by trade was a steeplejack who worked for Harrisons which was near the old Jessops hospital he left them to go and be a demolition forman for Jimmy Childs he had only been with Childs 6 months when he got killed at work he was working at the old Glasshouton colliery Castleford the mobile crane driver overloaded his load and the crane toppled over trapping my dad underneath he was in a coma for 3 days but died in Pinderfields Hospital Jimmy Childs company was found guilty of negligence and my mom was awarded compensation this was in the very early 60s my dads name was also JACK HEWITT RIP POPS.

Hello Jack,

I'm very sorry to learn of your tragedy. Have some idea of how it must have affected yourself and family. My dad died of cancer in 1960 aged 49 when I was 16 and the oldest of four children. Mother had a hard time.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Guest makapaka

There was some playing fields at Wincobank (by the reservoir) which people always referred to as "Jimmy Childs" - does anyone know why?

THE Childs family lived on manor lane in the 60s they owned the stand house overlooking the manor park at the top of the hill a little higher up than the manor castle pub. They also had a yard opposite the house backing onto the fields the other yard was the wood yard further along manor lane.

Not sure about young Jim or Roy but I think Pauline their sister is still alive.

anyone know what became of james childs & sons demolition,i believe it was situated on corby rd grimesthorpe area, when i started work,the brother of my boss used to regale me with tales of when he used to work for childs,they had a somewhat reputation " if you want it down,we will get it down one way or another" i was also told their tip sort of overflowed once and destroyed a local youth club........it ended up with them having another one built .

I think he started with a number of men smashing up concrete air raid shelters manually with Sledge hammers I personally watched them doing it,they had one tipper wagon in green and yellow with his name on it and later a excavator turned up swinging the chain with that great metal ball on the end

Used to spend many hours looking down from above the James Childs depot on Wincobank Hill,watching the lorries come in and go up to the rubble cruncher,tip their loads in and then watch it come out on the conveyor belt at the other side.The green and red livery trucks were all numbered,we all chose a number and waited for ours to come in and tip,LOL,somehow it was fascinating as a kid to see the rubble city they had built with the roads around it,and all the stuff going on down there,a real hive of industry.

I was working on a job on Cemetery Road and Jimmy Childs lads were pulling down the place next door.

Jimmy was rolloking his lads for not doing the job fast enough,[Johny Clayton, John Bradshaw,Johny Parker and a few more],

I was stood having a good laugh at what was going on and Jimmy turned to me and said get thi flippin!! cards,

" He dunt work for us " said Clayton, "Well if he did he'd be flippin!!! sacked " said Jimmy.

I remember as a kid watching Jimmy Childs demolish the prefabs on Bishopholme Rd Norwood.

Rows of lorries all shiney green and cream waiting to be loaded up with rubble from the bulldozers ,... As kids we were mezmorised.