Red Cross Food Campaign in Struggling UK

There are thousands of GENUINELY homeless/elderly/volnerable who need these services but they dont so much as get a look in because of the waves of scum seeing it as nothing more as another easy meal ticket.

And what about the overseas aid fiasco lining the pockets of African despots whilst 9 UK elderly die each hour, because of the cold, because they can't afford heating in the winter months!

---------- Post added 11-10-2013 at 16:36 ----------

Keep posting nonsense. You seem to excel in it.

So you don't care about the UK needy, you're happy to see them die aren't you?

And what about the overseas aid fiasco lining the pockets of African despots whilst 9 UK elderly die each hour, because of the cold, because they can't afford heating in the winter months!

---------- Post added 11-10-2013 at 16:36 ----------

So you don't care about the UK needy, you're happy to see them die aren't you?

Explain the logic to me to how your brain came to this conclusion?

Why do you keep posting that same line.

Elderly people have a winter fuel allowance each and every year. Our taxes go to pay towards the costs of their heating each and every year.

What are you trying to get me to say? Do you want me to go round and pay all the bills of my elderly neighbours. What is your point?

Im bloody freezing. My bills are through the roof. I dont get any government payout each year.

Im very sorry to learn that 9 elderly people die. BUT WHY? Neglect? Abandonment? Incapacity to look after themselves?

What are their families doing when they see nana freezing her ass off each winter. No family? - what are social services doing about this.

I really dont know what you are trying to labour this point for

There are many links confirming the facts, why don't you google instead of denying?

Because it's up to you to prove your case not up to me to verify it. Get off your backside and give me a link - after all how hard can it be?

Or perhaps they don't exist and you are telling porkie pies?

Aren't you concerned about the deaths of elderly UK people due to being unable to afford heating in the winter? And all because our governments would rather give away the money that would save these poor elderly needy UK citizens in Overseas Aid which it seems you prefer.

---------- Post added 11-10-2013 at 16:20 ----------

If you spent as much time searching for yourself as you have denying you'd soon see.

I'm a pensioner.

If pensioners are dying because they can't afford to heat their homes, then something is very wrong. Either they aren't getting the benefits they are entitled to (the minimum is over £140 a week for a single state pensioner/£220+ for a couple); they aren't prioritising heating and eating over other expenditure; they have debts with high repayments; or they may be living in a property too big for their needs. Any of those scenarios should be resolvable with help.

I accept that £140 a week might not be much, and although there may not be much over for luxuries, food and power are affordable on that income. Also those who are on full pension credit will be having their rent and council tax covered by benefits. Each household also gets £200 to help with the winter fuel bill.

Most older people I know who have never had much money are pretty good at budgeting. When I was a housing officer, they were much less likely to be in rent arrears than younger tenants. We know how to make nutritious meals fairly cheaply too.

I suggest that if you know a person over state pension age who is struggling, try to find out why and what can be done to help.

There are bits in this report that could support the argument that the elderly are dying from cold, but its not nearly as simple as that. http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/Later_Life_UK_factsheet.pdf?dtrk=true

9 people an hour aren't dying from freezing to death, thats complete nonsense and isn't backed up in anyway by any of the links posted.

Old people die from infection, stuff like influenza and the common cold.

They die from slips, trips and falls as well as the accompanying complications.

They die from heart attacks and stroke.

but to try and make us all believe so many people are freezing to death because they cannot afford to turn the heating on - thats silly.

You talking somewhere near 30,000 people over the winter.

30 thousand

The ONS figures for 2010...

•There were an estimated 25,700 excess winter deaths in England and Wales in 2010/11, virtually unchanged from the previous winter.

•As in previous years, there were more excess winter deaths in females than in males in 2010/11.

•Between 2009/10 and 2010/11 male excess winter deaths increased to 11,200, but female deaths fell to 14,400.

•The majority of deaths occurred among those aged 75 and over; however, deaths in this age group fell between 2009/10 and 2010/11, whereas deaths in persons aged under 75 increased.

•The excess winter mortality index was highest in Wales in 2010/11, whereas in the two previous winters it was highest in the South East of England.

A study by Healy (2003) showed that EWM varied widely within Europe, with England and Wales both having slightly higher than average EWM. Finland, a country with very cold winters, had the lowest EWM, and Portugal, a country with milder winters, had the highest EWM.

So when winters are warmer, more people die. Hmm....

Previous research has shown that although mortality does increase as it gets colder, temperature only explains a small amount of the variance in winter mortality, and high levels of excess winter mortality can occur during relatively mild winters (Brown et al, 2010). Curwen and Devis (1988) showed that both temperature and levels of influenza were important predictors of excess winter mortality. Thus, the relationship between temperature, influenza and winter mortality is complex.

Care to back up your 9 an hour pie in the sky assertion?

Archived