Does anyone familiar with the Chapeltown area recognise this part?

janie48

What I ought to have mentioned is that what aroused my interest to search for some details of Chapeltown during the war period is the mention of the American Military on another thread coming to England here during WW11.

I know some of them were based in the Chapeltown area, with a somewhat mixed reaction to their arrival from the locals.

Did you ever hear from relatives about what life was like at that time? not just relating to the area I mentioned but anywhere, perhaps you are old enough to remember?

---------- Post added 11-10-2013 at 17:28 ----------

Looks like Loundside to me opposite cricket ground.
Yes it is.

Somewhere amongst my "junk" I have an aerial photograph of Chapletown.This is a copy of an original found a Luftwaffe air base at the end of the war. The target was Newton Chambers and these copies were presented to workers there.No doubt this battery is marked on this photo. I'try to dig it out and post it..

Somewhere amongst my "junk" I have an aerial photograph of Chapletown.This is a copy of an original found a Luftwaffe air base at the end of the war. The target was Newton Chambers and these copies were presented to workers there.No doubt this battery is marked on this photo. I'try to dig it out and post it..
That would be nice, thank you.

I have spoken to many people in the past who worked at Newton Chambers.

I had an Aunt now deceased who served in the ATS during the war.

Thats why I found that film in the link I posted before so interesting Though she wasn't based at Chapeltown, it was somewhere down South.

This was the thread that got me thinking about some of my relatives and all the brave people who lived through those difficult years. We should be so proud of them!

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1234273

Archived