How much should a single person spend on a food a week?

You have lost me -I wish I had never started this.It went down rather well in the old peoples' home last month.

Topologically speaking, it only has one side.

Think of a sphere, it only has one side. If you squash that sphere until it forms a cylinder, topologically it still only has one side.

This may help (or make your head hurt). ;)

... I find that staggering to be honest. Assuming you use a normal amount of cleaning/sanitary stuff, we can probably ignore it entirely, so how much of that £200 - £250 /person is food?...

Well, maybe you should have exercised your brain and performed some simple, elementary arithmetic then you wouldn't find it 'staggering'.

Kitchen/cleaning products:

Clothes detergents and conditioner: £5/mnth

Washing-up liquid: £1/mnth (this is a somewhat conservative figure, and based on one bottle a month bought on offer)

Kitchen roll: £2/mnth

Wipes: £2/mnth

Other: £1/mnth (bleach etc)

Dishwasher powder: £2/mnth

Sanitary and medication:

Shower gel: £2/mnth

Toothpaste: £2/mnth

Mouthwash: £1.5/mnth

Floss: £0.50/mnth

Hair: £2/mnth (and this is just the cheap stuff for me, the wife uses stupidly expensive stuff from the hairdressers)

Toilet roll: £5/mnth

Painkillers: £2/mnth

Indigestion tablets: £4/mnth

For non-food items we are already upto £32/mnth, or just over £1/day.

Then we have booze at 3-4 bottles of wine a week, call it £20/wk or £86.67 a month or £2.79 a day.

This leaves us with £9-£12/day between us or £4.50 to £6 each.

Using yesterday as an example:

Weekday Breakfast (cereal): £0.20 each (weekend breakfast is more because bacon)

Lunch (ham, cheese and pickle sandwich, yoghurt and banana): £2 each

Tea (home made chicken pie and veg): £2 each

Pudding (strawberries and cream): £0.5 each (and that's conservative, probably more like £1 each given the price of strawberries)

Other misc: £0.2 each

Total: £4.90 each, so already overspend on the lower end of the scale (£400/mnth), and dipping into the excess of a £500/mnth spend which should really be going on more elaborate meals for the weekend..

jb

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 11:17 ----------

Topologically speaking, it only has one side.

Think of a sphere, it only has one side. If you squash that sphere until it forms a cylinder, topologically it still only has one side.

This may help (or make your head hurt). ;)

Or, if it was hollow, 2.

Next question: is it possible to turn a hollow sphere inside out?

jb

WoW. This is a real eye-opening post, mainly 'cos if you buy a pack of chicken breasts it's a fiver!

Food is just insanely expensive these days and heating healthy is just outrageously so!

Thanks for ALL the replies (except the weird ones about the 50 pence piece - they were just dumb :P )

You were being a pedant, I just out pedanted you :D

I can't believe this has turned into a debate about a 50pence piece..

Jeezus Cyclone! What would Chuck Norris think?

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 13:18 ----------

Well, maybe you should have exercised your brain and performed some simple, elementary arithmetic then you wouldn't find it 'staggering'.

Washing-up liquid: £1/mnth (this is a somewhat conservative figure, and based on one bottle a month bought on offer)

Sanitary and medication:

Hair: £2/mnth (and this is just the cheap stuff for me, the wife uses stupidly expensive stuff from the hairdressers)

Then we have booze at 3-4 bottles of wine a week, call it £20/wk or £86.67 a month or £2.79 a day.

Weekday Breakfast (cereal): £0.20 each (weekend breakfast is more because bacon)

Pudding (strawberries and cream): £0.5 each (and that's conservative, probably more like £1 each given the price of strawberries)

Total: £4.90 each, so already overspend on the lower end of the scale (£400/mnth), and dipping into the excess of a £500/mnth spend which should really be going on more elaborate meals for the weekend..

jb

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 11:17 ----------

Or, if it was hollow, 2.

Next question: is it possible to turn a hollow sphere inside out?

jb

I think you could save even more.

Ditch the...

Conditioner.

Kitchen roll.

Wipes.

Dishwasher powder. (clean the cutlery/crockery yourself)

Mouthwash (floss will suffice)

• 5 weeks later...

If you know what you are doing £7 a week is easy! …. £7 a week keep me at just over 13 and half stone. …. God £40 a week…. I could feed a family of 6 on that if you know what you are doing. P.S sorry … just want to say am not fat… am 6,2 and great build.! Its all about putting the right **** into your body

---------- Post added 14-11-2013 at 01:59 ----------

You were being a pedant, I just out pedanted you :D

Mr hover, just to let you know pedanted is not a word

My partner and I spend between £80-100 per week, but we don't eat out we take lunches to work.

Most of the cost is vegetables and lean meat or fish, we eat 5-10 fruit/veg/salad items a day and that all adds up. We have cut down by about £10 a week by not buying chicken very much now and I eat alot of veggie meals.

When I was a student I could live off of about £25 a week eating lots of bread,pasta and cheap foods like chips and sausages but in no way was that healthy.

I'm not sure in the present day its possible to eat healthily and on fresh produce from the supermarket on a reasonable budget!

If you know what you are doing £7 a week is easy! …. £7 a week keep me at just over 13 and half stone. …. God £40 a week…. I could feed a family of 6 on that if you know what you are doing. P.S sorry … just want to say am not fat… am 6,2 and great build.! Its all about putting the right **** into your body

---------- Post added 14-11-2013 at 01:59 ----------

Mr hover, just to let you know pedanted is not a word

Yes, it's a neologism.

---------- Post added 20-11-2013 at 07:36 ----------

What are you doing with all this stuff, poring it down the drain?

You use a bottle of washing up liquid, and £2 worth of dish washing powder a month.

Sanitary and medication:

Eating the toothpaste I assume?

So this should actually be taken out of the figures.

jb

Based on your figures, it's impossible for someone on the average income to actually afford to eat.

Archived