How much should a single person spend on a food a week?

Wow, an entire essay. I certainly didn't say anything about ignoring your post, it looks pretty clear that I meant we should ignore the cleaning products, hence them being in the same sentence as 'ignore'.

See how it refers to the subject of the sentence.

Was that why you got so aggressive about it, poor English comprehension?

Your post was two sentences, both quite clearly referring to the quoted post of mine. If you really meant, and I doubt you did, that only the clenaing/sanitary products should be ignored then I strongly suggest that in future you compose you replies for clarity.

You've clearly put a lot of effort into collating figures there, I'm certainly not going to check them all!

No effort, about 3 minutes of my time.

I am confused by your maths a little though, four to five hundred, between 2 people. Is a minimum of £46/week and a max of £57.

Not the £31 to £42 you claimed in the previous post.

Have you removed something from it, alcohol maybe?

Strange, a complete breakdown is provided in post 44. I did think you had read it, what with quoting it yourself in post 50.

I'm really confused as to how you think my spend is only £2 less than yours.

Let me remind you;

You £400 - £500

Me £250

Both values for couples.

Simple maths really. See post 44, again. I shouldn't have to remind you, but I will, that we are comparing amount spent on food.

That looks to me that I spend between 40 and 50 percent less than you, or <£30/week per person, whereas you spend at least £18 more and possibly twice as much.

Try rereading the thread for basic comprehension.

Given the quality of maths demonstrated I wonder if any of the figures are actually correct.

Try rereading the thread again for basic comprehension.

Maybe it all depends on taking out the booze, in which case, I hope you can see why I would consider your original reply (which did include that cost) to be large (staggering)

Strange, a complete breakdown is provided in post 44. I did think you had read it, what with quoting it yourself in post 50. Yet, despite this, you still continue to find it staggering. Maybe you should take a lie down?

I did actually ask, "how much of that is food", but without me getting out a calculator and doing some addition, you never actually answered it.

Strange, I really did think that had been answered in post 44, perhaps you missed it or failed to read your own reply in post 50?

jb

• 3 weeks later...
We spend somewhere in the region of £400 to £500 a month, for two of us, but that does include cleaning products, sanitary stuff etc and booze.

The only frozen food we buy is ice cream, waffles, fish fingers and peas. No ready meals, lots of veg and fresh meat/fish. Most evening meals will involve red meat, fish or chicken/turkey in some way (tonight is home made venison pie, with the venison courtesy of Round Green Farm, and some veg).

How people can spend only £15 and not die is beyond me.

jb

This sounds about right to me! We spend about £200 a month on just food for two of us. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more. We don't drink much in the house but go to pub a lot on a weekend. If we added that to our bill it would easy come to about £400-500 a month!

Some national figures on spending here

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2013/dec/11/family-spending-interactive-how-has-it-changed

According to that the "average household" in 2001 had a weekly spend on food and non alcoholic drinks of £60 and today it's about £56

Average household size in 2011 was 2.4 people btw.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171766_259965.pdf

So as a per person figure that's £23.33 a week or £108 a month.

So nearly 4 times the national average, if you want to eat and drink healthily... How might that break down, what requires you to spend about £12.50 a day?

Hmmh... on 2nd thoughts perhaps 90 was a little excessive. It was a rushed comment.

For me my usual diet usually works out something like...

Breakdown:

1 breakfast cereal

2 snack, maybe a protein bar 1£

3 small meal 2£

4 snack

5 small meal 2£

That has me at around 5£ a day so far

Then you have to factor in things like milk and coffee and bottled water. I drink a lot.

Maybe 8£ a day would be more accurate... which would average at what?

£56 a week

Buying a sandwich can actually make a large difference, I spend between £2.50 and £3.50 on a sandwich, add to that an apple, a bag of crisps and a snickers, and even though they're multi-pack items it's still possible to be up at £5 for lunch alone.

Buying a sandwich can actually make a large difference, I spend between £2.50 and £3.50 on a sandwich, add to that an apple, a bag of crisps and a snickers, and even though they're multi-pack items it's still possible to be up at £5 for lunch alone.

Yes, I don't eat pre packaged sandwiches, I don't eat fruit because I don't enjoy it... I do however go buy a fruit smoothie from Meadowhall 2 or 3 times a week just to make sure I am getting the nutrients I need which comes to around 4£ a drink and I don't eat crisps, I do however enjoy protein bars which are an healthier alternative to candy bars but cost 1£ per bar from Asda. Also I enjoy Muller yoghurt's. I eat lots of low cal microwave meals which are around £1.50 to £2.00 a piece, probably 1 a day. The cheapest meal I make on a regular basis is probably beans on toast with scrambles egg, a ham sandwich or oats so simple porridge... I eat Tuna sandwiches a lot too but Tuna is far from cheap.

People who say it isn't more expensive to eat healthier are deluded.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I don't eat pre packaged sandwiches, I don't eat fruit because I don't enjoy it... I do however go buy a fruit smoothie from Meadowhall 2 or 3 times a week just to make sure I am getting the nutrients I need which comes to around 4£ a drink and I don't eat crisps, I do however enjoy protein bars which are an healthier alternative to candy bars but cost 1£ per bar from Asda. Also I enjoy Muller yoghurt's. I eat lots of low cal microwave meals which are around £1.50 to £2.00 a piece, probably 1 a day. The cheapest meal I make on a regular basis is probably beans on toast with scrambles egg, a ham sandwich or oats so simple porridge... I eat Tuna sandwiches a lot too but Tuna is far from cheap.

People who say it isn't more expensive to eat healthier are deluded.

I suspect that 'healthy' when talking about it being cheaper refers to creating meals from scratch using veg and a cheap cut of meat. A nutrious stew for example that will make about 10 portions can cost <£10. Microwave meals, low fat or not, cannot be described as healthy. They're probably high in salt and sugar (since they're low fat) and full of preservatives.

I'd guess that buying a smoothie maker from Argos at meadowhall and then making your own would break even with a month or two and save you money after that. You get a lot of fruit for £4, and a smoothie maker is only about £20.

Archived