New 'FBI' IN UK. Scary.

We dont have a federal government, they would be like MI6 and the such. I'm actually surprised that there isn't a body that is responsible for gang/organised crimes in the UK..

"The Feds" is a nickname for FBI which stands for Federal Bureau of Investigations. They cover more than just organised crime. They are responsible for the most wanted list, missing people (at a national level), and more.

I believe they were run by J Edgar Wallace,whose brother became President(Henry Hoover).Their jurisdiction is interstate and were originally called the Pinkerton Gang.

Did you mean J Edgar Hoover?

Then, yes.

Federal can only handle incidents that cross state lines or large complicated cases.

Local and state police will handle anything within a state, though will ask both the CIA and the FBI for their expertise assistance in large or complicated cases, that are beyond their own reach. For example, there was a string of craiglists prostitutes being found dead in the dunes not far from where I grew up (as a child I would swim at those beaches) and both agencies came in to help with searches for bodies or the person (people) responsible for their deaths. The local police station is more used to speeding cars and bulgaries, murders not so much (its also the same police station that handled the Amityville Murders in the 70s) so needed more experienced help.

Did you mean J Edgar Hoover?

Then, yes.

Federal can only handle incidents that cross state lines or large complicated cases.

Local and state police will handle anything within a state, though will ask both the CIA and the FBI for their expertise assistance in large or complicated cases, that are beyond their own reach. For example, there was a string of craiglists prostitutes being found dead in the dunes not far from where I grew up (as a child I would swim at those beaches) and both agencies came in to help with searches for bodies or the person (people) responsible for their deaths. The local police station is more used to speeding cars and bulgaries, murders not so much (its also the same police station that handled the Amityville Murders in the 70s) so needed more experienced help.

The CIA operate outside the USA I believe and seldom investigate bulgaries.

One thing bothers me

The NCA will answer directly to the home secretary...
So they are effectively outside the chain of command of the Police.

Does this mean the NCA are not subject to the same restrictions & disciplinary procedures as the Police, such as requiring warrants or needing probable cause for arrest ?

I thought current thinking was to make police more accountable through the new democratically elected Police and Crime Commissioners, but who oversees the National Crime Agency and who are they accountable to?

I liked the way they were able to make a series of arrests on the day it started.

Hmmmm. Very efficient:suspect:

So yes, it does look like a rebranding exercise.

---------- Post added 13-10-2013 at 05:49 ----------

I thought current thinking was to make police more accountable through the new democratically elec rted Police and Crime Commissioners, but who oversees the National Crime Agency and who are they accountable to?

The Commissioners are to provide local accountability of local policing. The whole point of the National agency is that it is dealing with the national aspects of crime which clearly cannot be managed at a local level. The lack of accountability of this is no different thanthe situation before the local commissioners. It rests with the Home Office

I think it is the correct way to fight national crime at a national level. Having said that, to a great extent it is just a case of bringing several existing national agencies under one roof, so much of it is a rebranding exercise. It is not all new.

Archived