What you gonna do with the money?

I would be very boring I think. My husband and I could pack in work and I would pay off my sons and my daughters mortgages and give them some money, give some away to friends and some for charity. I don't really need or want a new house or car, so wouldn't change that. Might go on a cruise though!

Build myself a nice 3 bedroom bungalow, with some land next to a wood, I would stay in south Yorkshire to be close to family and friends.

I would buy homes for my family, I kind of like the idea of buying up a small street somewhere and us all living on it together, the land and wood thing still has to apply though I'm afraid :hihi:

Oh and set up my own business where I would work hands on part time, I wouldn't want to spend all of my days lazy it would be really boring.

I'd invest enough to make sure I had a secure income for the rest of my life somewhere in the region of 50-100K. I'd buy a large house in need of reonvation, pack in work and spend my time doing that. In between times I'd make sure I had a couple of cars (1 practical, 1 fun) 2 holidays a year.

If I had money left over after donating to charities, I'd open a deli and an decent real ale pub in Hillsborough.

It really all depends on how much you win doesn't it.

A million is a lot, but it's not enough to retire on for a life of luxury, even if you invested it all you'd be lucky to get a return of 50k/annum.

10 million on the other hand, you could invest half of it and quite reasonably expect a return of £125k/annum, which leaves you 5 million for the big house, several cars, gifts and 20 weeks a year abroad.

Michael Caroll is an interesting story though, he won about 10 million. In less than a year he had to withdraw from his 'income fund' because he'd blown the other 6. In less than 4 years he was broke and re-applying for his job as a bin man.

It really all depends on how much you win doesn't it.

A million is a lot, but it's not enough to retire on for a life of luxury, even if you invested it all you'd be lucky to get a return of 50k/annum.

10 million on the other hand, you could invest half of it and quite reasonably expect a return of £125k/annum, which leaves you 5 million for the big house, several cars, gifts and 20 weeks a year abroad.

Michael Caroll is an interesting story though, he won about 10 million. In less than a year he had to withdraw from his 'income fund' because he'd blown the other 6. In less than 4 years he was broke and re-applying for his job as a bin man.

Fully understand that Cyclone but 1m would do me, I don't drive and no wish for a big expensive house, I'd sort my 3 kids out & 2 brothers; then me and wife would live on what's left, we would have luxuries but love our own home too much to leave. If we did decide to leave it though it would be for a nice say 200k bungalow in Sheffield, but that's all.

I just can't understand how you could blow that kind of money and end up back where you started! 6 million in a year?? That takes some doing!

I'd buy a lovely cosy cottage in the middle of nowhere for me and my Hubby, kit it out with all the mod cons like a pool, home cinema etc. Then buy a couple of nice cars each, help out our family and friends and then travel round the world in total luxury.

I would also donate to charity too, and probably end up volunteering in my free time

One day! :D

Archived