Asylum Seekers-Tell it like it is

Asia and Africa may take 3/4 of the worlds asylum seekers but what percentage come from there?

From articles on world population, it seems that Asia and Africa contain 75% of the world's population. So 3/4 of the refugees seems their fair share.

From articles on world population, it seems that Asia and Africa contain 75% of the world's population. So 3/4 of the refugees seems their fair share.

That may be true but it does explode the commonly held misconception that the majority of refugees board a plane to the UK.

Asylum seekers receive less benefits than UK pensioners.

Rightly so. I wouldn't want or expect them to get more than UK pensioners.

It's not easy to get asylum in the UK, over 70% of applications are refused.

And how many go to second appeals, third appeals, High Court, European Court of Human Rights? How many of the rejects are actually repatriated?

Africa & Asia between them host 3/4 of the world's refugees, Europe takes in 15%.

So they should if that's where most come from.

UKBA has the power to detain a refugee indefinitely even if they've not been convicted of any crime.

Shame they don't do it more often.

Almost all refugees in UK are banned from working and live on as little as £5/day.

Banned from working but does this stop them working (while getting a handout)?

The law doesn't say they have to seek asylum in the first country they reach-they tend to go to countries where they can speak the language or have family already.

If they can afford £thousands to cross continents, they don't need our help.

UK is home to 2% of the world's refugees.

The UK is 0.16% of the world's landmass.

Many asylum seekers are not entitled to any form of financial support.

The Refugee Council is taxpayer funded. When they help anybody, we're all paying for it.

Asylum seekers can't jump the housing queue or choose what area they live in.

Untrue. The myth spun is that asylum seekers don't get priority - all social housing is allocated on a need basis, but an asylum seeker arriving in the country has nothing, which is more in need than kipping on several different peoples sofas, or living in already over crowded housing, so they do get prioritised because there need is sometimes assessed as greater and taking priority.

Rightly so. I wouldn't want or expect them to get more than UK pensioners.
Nor would I but I posted this because many people believe they do.

And how many go to second appeals, third appeals, High Court, European Court of Human Rights? How many of the rejects are actually repatriated?

Again, I've no idea but it challenges the common belief that asylum seekers simply stroll into the UK.

So they should if that's where most come from.

*SIGH* see above

Shame they don't do it more often.

Maybe so.

Banned from working but does this stop them working (while getting a handout)?

I'd rather they were allowed to work and received no handouts.

If they can afford £thousands to cross continents, they don't need our help.

Many don't seek it, they rely on friends and family already here.

The UK is 0.16% of the world's landmass.

So what? What's % of the world population does the UK represent?

The Refugee Council is taxpayer funded. When they help anybody, we're all paying for it.

..and Im quite happy to, just as I am paying the salaries of MP's and Euro MP's I don't agree with.

Untrue. The myth spun is that asylum seekers don't get priority - all social housing is allocated on a need basis, but an asylum seeker arriving in the country has nothing, which is more in need than kipping on several different peoples sofas, or living in already over crowded housing, so they do get prioritised because there need is sometimes assessed as greater and taking priority.

I think the point is that they have no choice over where they live, the properties refugees are housed in are the ones no one else wants or are managed by housing charities which look after refugees so aren't available to the general public anyway.

I dont disagree Mecky, but that's an issue for home security and proper enforcement, noones suggesting they should be allowed to enter the country illegally.

But the fact is the Home Office is understaffed and underfunded and doesn't have to resources to Gestapo people. The "Go Home" vans were ruled illegal and I'm not sure they had much effect anyway.

But the fact is the Home Office is understaffed and underfunded and doesn't have to resources to Gestapo people. The "Go Home" vans were ruled illegal and I'm not sure they had much effect anyway.

Again I agree, the UKBA needs to be properly financed and resourced to do the job it's tasked to do properly.

Even the failed asylum seekers under section 4 are probably better off than the unemployed,

£35.39 to spend on food, and accommodation/ heating etc. paid for.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/asylum/support/apply/section4/

How are they better off than our unemployed? The lowest rate of JSA is £56.80, which they can spend as they like. The £39.39 is the amount available on an Azure Payment Card which is only accepted in some approved shops and supermarkets.

UK is home to 2% of the world's refugees.

But is one of the most density populated countries in Europe, with a land area which represents 0.69 of the earths land mass, and accommodates 0.91% of the worlds people. So we clearly take well over our fair share. :)

Archived