Asylum Seekers-Tell it like it is

It's an honest question retep, you were lamenting the cause of the unemployed because they're worse off than asylum seekers awaiting deportation who receive free accommodation and an Azure card to buy essentials..do you think many of our unemployed would trade places with them?

Our unemployed aren't failed asylum seekers why would they?

But i would guess they would like as much to spend on food.

The problem is that people don't believe half of what organisations like the Refugee Council come up with because they are as guilty as the politicians when it comes to twisting stats. For example...

Asylum seeks receive less benefits than pensioners - I should hope so seeing as a sixth of the population are pensions.

70% of asylum applications may be refused but how many are deported?

Some may live on as little as £5 per day but that will not be the total cost to the tax payer will it?

Asia and Africa may take 3/4 of the worlds asylum seekers but what percentage come from there?

For years asylum seekers did jump the housing queues - it is only recently that council have started to address concerns by awarding 'points' to people with ties to an area.

The UK is home to 2% of the worlds refugees - is that just the ones officially processed because it is estimated that there is knocking on for 1million illegal immigrants too.

I have to say that I struggle with the issue of asylum. We should offer it but I think we need to be more selective about who we let in and that there should be some sort of probation period during which time we can revoke a right to stay. The problem that I have is that too many want to retain their cultural identities, beliefs and practices... which I see contributing factors to the problems in the countries they are fleeing. I don't want asylum seekers (or immigrants in general) bringing there problems with them and dragging us backwards.

I really do not think that will happen on reading your post and its sentiments.

So what, it doesn't alter the fact as a percentage we take more than our fair share of asylum seekers when you consider the size of our country and the size of the population already reliant on imported food.

Since the question's already been raised, how are you defining 'fair share'?

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 17:02 ----------

Our unemployed aren't failed asylum seekers why would they?
I'm not saying they should, so why do you make the comparison in the first place?

But i would guess they would like as much to spend on food.

The £39 pounds on the card is intended to cover a lot more than food.

So what, it doesn't alter the fact as a percentage we take more than our fair share of asylum seekers when you consider the size of our country and the size of the population already reliant on imported food.

Can you tell whose percentage share you are using?

PS many asylum seekers eventuallywill work on farms reducing our need to import food.

There are 196 countries in the world, many of them are significantly larger and less crowded than ours, we take 2% of all refugees, which means many countries clearly take significantly less than we take.

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 17:02 ----------

I'm not saying they should, so why do you make the comparison in the first place?

The £39 pounds on the card is intended to cover a lot more than food.

So is whats left out of the unemployment benefit after bills.

I came across this page on the Refugee Council website debunking some of the myths about asylum seekers.

Asylum seekers receive less benefits than UK pensioners.

It's not easy to get asylum in the UK, over 70% of applications are refused.

Africa & Asia between them host 3/4 of the world's refugees, Europe takes in 15%.

UKBA has the power to detain a refugee indefinitely even if they've not been convicted of any crime.

Almost all refugees in UK are banned from working and live on as little as £5/day.

The law doesn't say they have to seek asylum in the first country they reach-they tend to go to countries where they can speak the language or have family already.

UK is home to 2% of the world's refugees.

Many asylum seekers are not entitled to any form of financial support.

Asylum seekers can't jump the housing queue or choose what area they live in.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/tellitlikeitis

Personally I'm proud that a tiny portion of my tax is used to provide sanctuary to genuine refugees but appreciate this is a controversial subject, it would be great if we can have a sensible/rational discussion about it for once :)

Can we believe this data though?

There are some puzzling aspects in relation to claiming Asylum here. Why do the desperate, life threatened, persecuted ones travel through numerous other countries to get here?

Migration Watch is a more legitimate source of information.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.co.uk/briefingPaper/document/108

Personally, I wouldn't take any more. We can't look after the people already here, never mind thousands more.

Can you tell whose percentage share you are using?
Not sure what the question is.

PS many asylum seekers eventuallywill work on farms reducing our need to import food.

We import food because we don't have enough land to grow all the food we consume, not because we don't have enough people to work the land.

Can we believe this data though?

There are some puzzling aspects in relation to claiming Asylum here. Why do the desperate, life threatened, persecuted ones travel through numerous other countries to get here?

Most of them don't, they seek asylum in neighbouring countries. Why do others travel further afield? Well if I were seeking asylum I'd go to a country where I already had friends/family, that had a good record of accommodating and assimilating refugees.

By the way, why do you and so many others assume that asylum seekers pass through countries to get here? A lot of them are far from impoverished and are quite capable of air travel.

Migration Watch is a more legitimate source of information.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 18:42 ----------

So is whats left out of the unemployment benefit after bills.

It depends what your circumstances are, obviously

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 18:43 ----------

There are 196 countries in the world, many of them are significantly larger and less crowded than ours, we take 2% of all refugees, which means many countries clearly take significantly less than we take.

..and a lot take significantly more.

Most of them don't, they seek asylum in neighbouring countries. Why do others travel further afield? Well if I were seeking asylum I'd go to a country where I already had friends/family, that had a good record of accommodating and assimilating refugees.

By the way, why do you and so many others assume that asylum seekers pass through countries to get here? A lot of them are far from impoverished and are quite capable of air travel.

And pass through the air space of safe countries. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 18:48 ----------

..and a lot take significantly more.

No they don't, it's just a few that take significantly more, and they are much larger countries.

Archived