George and Boris in China

They could come and sort out Sevenstone (or whatever the new name is) for us.

The Chinese seem to be able to build some of the largest structures on earth in an amazingly shot space of time - one poxy retail development shouldn't present any problems.

Osborne and Johnson seem to doing a very good job in gaining new business and investment in China. 16,000 jobs pending in Manchester due to Chinese investment. How can Sheffield benefit?

By opening Chinese factories to mass produce cheap consumer goods for the Chinese domestic market. The government will create special "enterprise zones" where employment law will be relaxed & taxes reduced, prompting massive inward investment from China in the form of modern factories and state of the art workers dormitories.

Osborne and Johnson seem to doing a very good job in gaining new business and investment in China. 16,000 jobs pending in Manchester due to Chinese investment. How can Sheffield benefit?

Doesn't investment mean an investor will take out more than they put in?

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 10:27 ----------

They could come and sort out Sevenstone (or whatever the new name is) for us.

The Chinese seem to be able to build some of the largest structures on earth in an amazingly shot space of time - one poxy retail development shouldn't present any problems.

Sevenstone is dead in the water and personally I don't want an expansion of an already drab city centre. I want to see a revitalised city centre when I can buy everything I need from independant shops, not chainstores, pound shop, bookies and charity shops

in the long term that is the obvious hope of an investor - they put money in, hopefully get a return on the money invested and then sell for a profit at a later date

it doesn't stop it being beneficial for third parties - in this case, particularly, the people employed as a consequence of the investment

That would be a bit like someone building a steel works in Sheffield then or perhaps a cutlery works. We wouldn't want anyone setting up a business and providing jobs if they got a return on their investment would we?

Sevenstone is dead in the water and personally I don't want an expansion of an already drab city centre. I want to see a revitalised city centre when I can buy everything I need from independant shops, not chainstores, pound shop, bookies and charity shops

You are going to have a long wait. Why would anyone invest in Sheffield when they see the mind set there? South Yorkshire still lives in an era of burning Maggie Thatcher effigies. The publicity the area gets just says invest elsewhere.

And wouldn't these independent stores mean investors would be taking more out than they put in?

Archived