Issues with Beuprenorphine what should I do?

Hi people.

I've been on beuprenorphine for a couple of years now and I keep having issues with them and I'm beginning to think my doctor's have no idea what to do.

I was put on 10microgram patch ages ago and all was going fine till last year I suddenly started getting withdrawals from them 1or2 days before I'm dude to change it. I went to palliative care at hospital and he recommended I change to x2 5microgram patches which I change a couple of days apart. This worked...

Then a couple of month ago it started again so I went back to palliative care and they told me to try taking codine before and on the day I change each patch. Yet again this worked.

But now last week it's started again and I went to my GP who has been told instead of sending me back to palliative care to just up how much codine I use. Well I've tried that but it's now made it so I can't sleep at all without taking codine.

I'm getting really annoyed now as it's getting more regular that the effects are coming and it's not nice. I'm only 27 and don't want it where I get to the point of just upping codine.

I just wondered if anyone else is on or been on beuprenorphine and had or having issues? If so what have you done?

Jeez, I was hoping to give input regarding the burns that the patches leave, but it appears you are coming off them I am on 2 x 20mg patches a week, as the GP reckons that as I run a high temp most of the time my body draws the patch dry in a couple of days, RE the burns where the patch has been I find bepanthen nappy cream sooths the area best.

I don't really get burns but I do get a slight rash from the glue I think. I can't imagine not having a patch on now as the withdrawals are horrible. At one point I didn't sleep for 3night's and it made me so ill from not sleeping I ended up in A&E and put on diazapam to help me sleep

Hi people.

I've been on beuprenorphine for a couple of years now and I keep having issues with them and I'm beginning to think my doctor's have no idea what to do.

I was put on 10microgram patch ages ago and all was going fine till last year I suddenly started getting withdrawals from them 1or2 days before I'm dude to change it. I went to palliative care at hospital and he recommended I change to x2 5microgram patches which I change a couple of days apart. This worked...

Then a couple of month ago it started again so I went back to palliative care and they told me to try taking codine before and on the day I change each patch. Yet again this worked.

But now last week it's started again and I went to my GP who has been told instead of sending me back to palliative care to just up how much codine I use. Well I've tried that but it's now made it so I can't sleep at all without taking codine.

I'm getting really annoyed now as it's getting more regular that the effects are coming and it's not nice. I'm only 27 and don't want it where I get to the point of just upping codine.

I just wondered if anyone else is on or been on beuprenorphine and had or having issues? If so what have you done?

I would imagine your doctor has a little more knowledge than the people who post on here-I would suggest you use a medical forum where there is a chance of better advice.

I don't really get burns but I do get a slight rash from the glue I think. I can't imagine not having a patch on now as the withdrawals are horrible. At one point I didn't sleep for 3night's and it made me so ill from not sleeping I ended up in A&E and put on diazapam to help me sleep

Sorry for the delay in replying, the other real pain is the vivid dreams that I suffer when I do eventually sleep, I have awoke many a time wondering if the dream was real, I have been on the patches for about 3 years now, and would probably struggle getting off them as I have also fell into the trap of now being chemically dumbed down with the combination of meds that I am on. the side effect are horrendous but the withdrawal symptoms are downright hellish, hardly worth trying to reduce the meds as the pain is still there, it's a no win situation, I have learnt to live with it the best I can at the moment.

One of my main battles is depression due to a combination of my pain, my medication, and my reduced ability to do normal day to day things, I do try to keep myself busy by doing voluntary work as much as I can, and I also run a shoebox appeal, whereby I send shoe box's to our troops in various hot zones around the world, these distractions work to an extent but I do have varying degrees of good and bad days, I always try my best to find a distraction on my really bad days but it does not always work.

Archived