Return train fare to Liverpool .. how much!!

Considering there isn't a municipal art gallery in Sheffield, I thought it'd be a nice idea for a day away (Saturday) to the much smaller city of Liverpool which has the largest collection of art galleries and museums (something else Sheffield hasn't got) in Europe. Specifically a visit to the Tate Liverpool and the Walker Art Gallery.

Just checking out train prices for two adults (taking girlfriend), the cheapest return is £132.00! :gag:

I've not been on a train for donkey's years, so was oblivious to prices ... I was expecting about fifty quid! You can get a half hour helicopter flight for £130!

Considering you could get there and back to Liverpool for around thirty quids worth of petrol in about the same time, is it any wonder people don't use the trains?

Now, there's all this talk about updating the railway systems at a cost of billions of pounds ... is this going to mean a reduction in fares? Somehow (I may be wrong), I don't think so.

Is it just me, or are train prices too high?

Looks like the car wins for now. :roll:

Where are you looking?

I can get a return ticket at £13 pp.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/SHF/Liverpool/261013/0715/dep/261013/1915/dep

Jeez! ... thanks, you're right. I was looking on the East Midland Trains site ... I presumed all prices would be comparative. Why the massive disparity? :huh:

Yes, I paid £12 for a return, and we had a great day out - loads to see around the Albert Dock, and loads of shops if you are interested in that side of things. We wanted to do the ferry on the Mersey bit, but our timing was out, so might go back at a later date.

I'll save you £26 for next time.

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/

Sheffield art galleries and museums. Something Sheffield does have.

Have you been to these places?

The council in their infinite wisdom have turned Weston Park into a worthless kindergaden and the Graves has absolutely nothing of value (apart from a Caravaggio).

Unless you've got ADD, they've had the same pictures on the walls for years, so hardly worth a visit. Sheffield's a wasteland when it comes to stuff like this. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 09:32 ----------

Methinks he doth protest too much! ;)

;)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Archived